End of free TV licence for over 75s.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Apparently, this is to come from June 2020 and my wife will be 75 in September! :angry:
It will be means tested they say. Strange that they can find £97 million for consultancy fees over Brexit. We need a general election in this country as the leader of the Tories is not elected by the people but a small majority of egoist individuals.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well at least it's something to moan about. Got to look on the bright side.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's free for all down here but most stuff is imported crap. There are paid for satellite services which do have BBC progs.
I used to be able to watch iPlayer on VPN but they got wise to that unfortunately.
With paid for stuff getting more popular in the UK the BBC needs to perhaps get up to date, it's a fast changing world.
I think it's fair that it should be means tested. Older people who's it their only means of entertainment should be exempt.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
They are just trying to cover the void left by young oiks like me. I know many people in their 40s and younger who don't have a telly. I haven't had one for over 5 years. So what's that? £500+ in lost revenue? I still get reams of threatening letters and notifications of 'visits / inspections' which I now ignore. I have given up ringing the call centres to advise them otherwise as you just sit in a call-waiting-queue for ages before speaking to a threatening and rude youngster in the call centre. None of the visits have ever materialised. Now I just chuck the letters straight in the recycling. This must cost all the licence payers money. Should I be made to feel bad about that?

And before you think I'm selling myself as some self righteous hippy who stares at the moon instead of the telly, I promise I'm not despite appearances. I can waste loads of time on Internet forums, YouTube and Vimeo*. And RWGPS devising awesome cycle trips. :okay:

*No BBC iplayer for the record.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think it's fair that it should be means tested. Older people who's it their only means of entertainment should be exempt.
In principle you have a valid point but means testing can be so unfair eg I worked for 53 years and paid all my taxes etc etc. Joe Bloggs spends half his life on the dole (which you and I pay for) and p*sses his money up the wall. Why should he get more free benefit than me?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think we should make lite of it. It's another erosion of a benefit of a lifetime of paying in and also some older people's only connection to the outside world.

Poor show to see it go.
This is the cafe, of course we can make light of gavroche. I doubt very much he wants to venture into P&L.

In 1936 Lloyd George built a time machine on the launch of BBC Television Service and went back to 1908 and made sure his past self implemented free tv licences for the over 75s, even though television didn't exist yet and that 75 was substantially above the life expectancy at the time.

If you want P&L mode, it was introduced as a gimmick by the labour government, it hasn't been around for that long and the serious parts of the policy was a reaction to the serious pensioner poverty that existed in the early-mid 1990s. That pensioner poverty no no longer exists on anything like the scale that it did and the tables have turned with collectively pensioners now being better off than substantial parts of the working population.

It's still going to be means tested, and obviously that doesn't apply sadly to the OP as they are in the richest group of pensioner households.

It's one that was muted for getting the axe for a long time, austerity's had a very long reaching effect on things. In an ideal world you'd probably keep it going as labour were daft enough to set it up in the first place and it makes people happy.

Slick

Guru
This is the cafe, of course we can make light of gavroche. I doubt very much he wants to venture into P&L.

In 1936 Lloyd George built a time machine on the launch of BBC Television Service and went back to 1908 and made sure his past self implemented free tv licences for the over 75s, even though television didn't exist yet and that 75 was substantially above the life expectancy at the time.

If you want P&L mode, it was introduced as a gimmick by the labour government, it hasn't been around for that long and the serious parts of the policy was a reaction to the serious pensioner poverty that existed in the early-mid 1990s. That pensioner poverty no no longer exists on anything like the scale that it did and the tables have turned with collectively pensioners now being better off than substantial parts of the working population.

It's still going to be means tested, and obviously that doesn't apply sadly to the OP as they are in the richest group of pensioner households.

It's one that was muted for getting the axe for a long time, austerity's had a very long reaching effect on things. In an ideal world you'd probably keep it going as labour were daft enough to set it up in the first place and it makes people happy.
Yeah, that and the bus pass was always a target but now we've solved pensioner poverty we can relax a bit. Work shy bunch of bar stewards anyway. :okay:

Brains

Legendary Member
They are just trying to cover the void left by young oiks like me. I know many people in their 40s and younger who don't have a telly. I haven't had one for over 5 years. So what's that? £500+ in lost revenue? I still get reams of threatening letters and notifications of 'visits / inspections' which I now ignore. I have given up ringing the call centres to advise them otherwise as you just sit in a call-waiting-queue for ages before speaking to a threatening and rude youngster in the call centre. None of the visits have ever materialised. Now I just chuck the letters straight in the recycling. This must cost all the licence payers money. Should I be made to feel bad about that?

And before you think I'm selling myself as some self righteous hippy who stares at the moon instead of the telly, I promise I'm not despite appearances. I can waste loads of time on Internet forums, YouTube and Vimeo*. And RWGPS devising awesome cycle trips. :okay:

*No BBC iplayer for the record.
Might I suggest you revert to letters, not calling them,
It costs them way more to deal with letters, hence all disputes that I get involved with I do everything by letter, with follow up letters, and the added benefit of referring to previous letters, just so they have to look them up.
The system today simply is no longer geared up to deal like this, so the time involved, for them, is immense.

I also go to great lengths to refer to people individually, younger people at work get really spooked out when they get a hand written envelope to the office posted directly to them by name.
What is even funnier is many companies block personal correspondence, so when this is business related personal correspondence they really don't like to handle it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It was only introduced in 1999.
Governments can give and they can take away. My parents are 73. They don’t need a free TV license or winter fuel allowance. They have more money than me.

Apparently the over 75 are the biggest consumer of BBC output whilst the under 30s don’t consume as much.

Plus everyone forgets the BBC is far more than TV. Their 6 national radio stations ( local ones too) and huge website are market leaders, all paid for by the license and the iPlayer is a brilliant resource.

It's kind of inevitable, the average age of a TV viewer is now 60, most younger people stream stuff. My own two sons don't watch TV, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube. They don't listen to the Radio either, this is why the BBC has launched their sounds app in an effort to be relevant. At some point they're going to have to move to a different funding model if the average age continues to go up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do you remember when they used to say there were TV detector vans cruising your neighborhood? I've never seen one but I did get a visit once from an inspector in a grubby mac. I told him I didn't have a TV, he said but you have a TV Ariel on the roof. I replied I've got milk in the fridge but it doesn't mean to say I have a cow in the garden.

Top Bottom