End to end bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimC

Hi - I'm Tim, completely new to this forum.

I am a reletivly inexperienced cyclist planning with 4 workmates to take on the Lands End to John O'Groats ride over 14 days in summer on behalf of Barnsley Hospice.

We have been training on MTBs so far (transpennine routes mainly) and are looking to get road bikes that will be suitable for the trip.

Unfortunatly the budget is around the £300-400 mark (there are four of us looking to buy). We thankfully won't be carrying much weight as we'll be sleeping in an RV driven by a friend, which will be carrying everything we need.

One shop (Woodrups, Leeds) has recommended the Giant SCR4, which looks good, but I'm not sure if they offered that becuase it was in stock...

Would anyone please be able to offer any advice/recommendations/help?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
ebay > advanced search > bike > items near me > items within 25 miles of [yr postcode] > search
...and see what comes up. If you don't know your frame size, inside leg -9", or google for more precise methods. Good luck.

buggi

Bird Saviour
whatever you ride will be so much easier than an MTB. look around for deals on last years bikes. they can be selling for half the price just because they've updated the colour.

twowheelsgood

Hi, I'd be looking at something like an Audax/light tourer with a steel frame.

As a heavier rider I'd want enough clearence for 28 tyres with guards.

The Giant wouldn't appeal to me for this type of journey.

walker

What ever you decide to get ask for a discount if you all get the same bike from the same place. The seller will find it hard to turn you away

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Thanks for the advice - I'm not sure that I'd trust ebay, as I am not completely confident what will serve me best.
I am surprised that Halfords was mentioned, they don't even have frame sizes for the carreras just large med and small...

Are there any audax/light touring bikes or either online dealers, or shops in the Yorkshire area that anyone could recommend please?

walker

TimC said:
Thanks for the advice - I'm not sure that I'd trust ebay, as I am not completely confident what will serve me best.
I am surprised that Halfords was mentioned, they don't even have frame sizes for the carreras just large med and small...

Are there any audax/light touring bikes or either online dealers, or shops in the Yorkshire area that anyone could recommend please?

alot of top end bikes are only Small, medium etc.

but you can ask for exact top tube size etc

Milo

Guru
I have a dawes giro 300 I qm happy with it and it goes for about the 300 pound mark. Less if you can find last years model.

TimC said:

Have a look at www.spacycles.co.uk Bought mine from there. Not a big fancy shop, just a small LBS with a big online turnover so prices are good. They specialize in Dawes amongst others and sell a few of the different Audax models that Dawes make. Start with them.

Edit: for instance... http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p644

Cat

Are all of you buying new bikes? if so see if the shop can do u a deal/discount or throw in some extras free, always worth a go...... :smile:

I've been looking at getting a touring bike (on a budget) and the Revolution Country Traveller from the Edinburgh Bicycle cooperative for £399.00 looks to be pretty good value as a starter bike

CountryTraveller.jpg

Full Details Here

It might be worth giving them a bell to see if they have any 2007 models still in stock ?

Simon

Top Bottom