Energy drink/bars/gels Recovery drink/bars/gels????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

On Sunday, all being well, I'll be doing an Audax, when I get home it'll be 180 miles for me, probably doing it around 17-18mph avg so fastish for that distance but I'll be with a few fast people probably.

What I need to do is get some energy drinks and all that.

So first off, energy drinks:

Some people say that instead of getting these energy sachets, they buy large tubs of maltodextrin or something? Is this a better option and cheaper option for making energy drinks? I was looking at the NUUN tablets: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28605 Would these be an adequate replacement for energy sachets like SIS stuff? I'd rather use these NUUN tablets if that is the case as they're better to carry.

Not sure what energy gels and bars I would need? What are peoples prefs? I usually just eat Mars Bars but for mega long and hilly rides like this one I like to use proper stuff but it's all so confusing with all the different brands.

I'm looking for the best stuff for the price, probably the cheapest stuff, but I want a product that actually works, so I was looking at these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4207 (gels)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18456 (bars)

Not sure about recovery stuff, I've heard that a large glass of milk is just as good recovery drink as any? And tbh, if that's the case, I'd rather just eat a meal and have a glass of milk rather than buy any recovery stuff.

So with the gels, bars and tablets it comes to 37 quid.

Could I get better for my money or is there better and cheaper alternatives available? I just want the best for my money really.

Thanks.

vorsprung

Veteran
I've done a blog entry about Nuun tablets vs Energy drinks

"The Secret Ingredient"

I don't recommend Mars Bars except in emergencies. Home made flapjacks are far better

e-rider

crappy member
I rate NUUN very highly but it is expensive and isn't an energy drink as such.

I use NUUN for drinking to stay hydrated and energy bars and gels for, well er, energy!

My favourite bars are High5 (banana or berry) and I like the SIS Go Gels (tropical flavour)

For NUUN I always go for Citrus or Tri Berry (I tried all the others which are all OK)

... http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=18456 (bars)

...Could I get better for my money or is there better and cheaper alternatives available? I just want the best for my money really.

Thanks.

...I don't recommend Mars Bars except in emergencies. Home made flapjacks are far better

I have to agree with avoiding Mars Bars, they are really not good except for emergency use. They are sugar, sugar and sugar and only give immediate energy, nothing longer term
Flapjacks and other such oat and nut based snacks are much better for you combined with sufficient hydration.

I had a look at the ingredients list for the bars you linked, I hope they taste better than the list looks. That is one long list of ingredients for something as simple as a flapjack.
For less money and the same number of calories etc, you can get JC's Trek Flapjack Oat Crunch (http://www.naturalba...ek/default.aspx) which only have natural ingredients in them (just generally better for you). I also particularly like Nakd CG Nibble Cashew Cookie bars as well (http://www.naturalba...ts/default.aspx). The ingredients are all natural and easier to digest. They taste devine and if like me anyone here is allergic to diary, they have no diary in them at all. (they are also gluten free as well.)
These bars are also available (for all their sins) from Holland and Barrett so if you don't have time to get them delivered (cheaper), or want to try a single bar first.

Incidentally I use Lucozade Sport Body Fuel Powder for rehydration. I find that the 2 large tube for £25 (giving 60 servings) works out very well and tastes pleasant enough to keep enough liquid in me. It also comes in sachets which are much more expensive, but sometimes more convienient. The fact that it is a powder does not bother me - it contains no diary which is much more important to me.
If you want a refereal to the Lucozade shop (discount code) etc, just leave me a PM.

vorsprung

Veteran
Is the "Endurolytes 150 Serv Powder" actually literally 150 bottles worth??

I don't have the tub right here with me now but ISTR that 1 serving is enough for a "normal" dose in a 500ml bottle, which I think was 1 scoop
On hot days more electrolytes are consumed so the amount of powder is increased
I have 1 litre bottle and use 4 or 5 scoops on a hot day

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd say if you're doing the ride this weekend, you've left it too late to be messing around with energy gels and drinks - these should have been tested out over the last few weeks so that you know you'll like the stuff enough to drink it and it doesn't make you ill. This may sound a bit dramatic but there are plenty of people who finds some energy drinks give them upset stomachs etc. - best to know this before you make up 2 water bottles for your event :B)

The other thing is working out what you actually need - for instance, I never use electrolyte drinks even over long rides or in hot weather (and I mean hot, I used to live in Western Australia and Northern Italy) as my body doesn't need the extra salts beyond what I get in normal foods and the occasional packet of crisps with a post-race beer. Remember sweat is less salty than the fluid in your body so as you sweat, you concentrate the remaining fluid and drinking plain water is sufficient until you get to having to replace 3 or 4 litres**. And contrary to what many people seem to think, electrolytes aren't implicated in cramps - it's more likely to be underconditioned muscles (check out information on electrolytes and cramp in the Science in Sport blog here) which cause you problems, especially if you ride harder or longer on the day than you do in 'training'.

So stick with stuff you know - diluted squash or fruit juice, with pinch of salt if you must, flapjacks, malt loaf, bananas etc. And my main objection to chocolate would be that it clags the mouth (old sabotage trick - offer chocolate around your ride companions just before the start of a climb and they'll all be swishing the stuff out of their mouths and drinking from water bottles when you hit the climb :tongue:) - it might give you short term energy but on the other hand, if you're working hard ~ 1000 kcals per hour and using say ~80% blood sugar (and <20% body fat) for energy, you need a fairly big supply of sugar - 150kcals in a gel isn't going to get you far and 400 kcals in a Mars bar might get you a lot further while flapjack or similar might just be too hard to digest quickly enough. But this is part of knowing what you need and what works for you.

** Also note that thirst is driven by your body detecting salt concentration so electrolyte drinks can make you feel thirsty beyond what's needed for fluid replacement. The Science in Sport blog has more on this subject.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'd say if you're doing the ride this weekend, you've left it too late to be messing around with energy gels and drinks - these should have been tested out over the last few weeks so that you know you'll like the stuff enough to drink it and it doesn't make you ill. This may sound a bit dramatic but there are plenty of people who finds some energy drinks give them upset stomachs etc. - best to know this before you make up 2 water bottles for your event :B)

The other thing is working out what you actually need - for instance, I never use electrolyte drinks even over long rides or in hot weather (and I mean hot, I used to live in Western Australia and Northern Italy) as my body doesn't need the extra salts beyond what I get in normal foods and the occasional packet of crisps with a post-race beer. Remember sweat is less salty than the fluid in your body so as you sweat, you concentrate the remaining fluid and drinking plain water is sufficient until you get to having to replace 3 or 4 litres**. And contrary to what many people seem to think, electrolytes aren't implicated in cramps - it's more likely to be underconditioned muscles (check out information on electrolytes and cramp in the Science in Sport blog here) which cause you problems, especially if you ride harder or longer on the day than you do in 'training'.

So stick with stuff you know - diluted squash or fruit juice, with pinch of salt if you must, flapjacks, malt loaf, bananas etc. And my main objection to chocolate would be that it clags the mouth (old sabotage trick - offer chocolate around your ride companions just before the start of a climb and they'll all be swishing the stuff out of their mouths and drinking from water bottles when you hit the climb :tongue:) - it might give you short term energy but on the other hand, if you're working hard ~ 1000 kcals per hour and using say ~80% blood sugar (and <20% body fat) for energy, you need a fairly big supply of sugar - 150kcals in a gel isn't going to get you far and 400 kcals in a Mars bar might get you a lot further while flapjack or similar might just be too hard to digest quickly enough. But this is part of knowing what you need and what works for you.

** Also note that thirst is driven by your body detecting salt concentration so electrolyte drinks can make you feel thirsty beyond what's needed for fluid replacement. The Science in Sport blog has more on this subject.

To the OP definitely dont start experimenting with different sruff on the longest ride of your life. If you havent time to test on a long ride beforehand stick with what you know.

Really interesting link to the Sports Science site. I have suffered cramps after about 3 to 4 hrs riding a few times and and was convinced I needed extra salt. Handfulls of salted nuts now and then seem to have helped but maybe thats just coincidental.

Up to now I have only used plain water and the odd sports gel on longer rides with hills.Getting most of my energy from ordinary food. I wonder if using an energy drink would help me keep up a higher speed? I seem to be able to keep going all day but not at a fast speed.

e-rider

crappy member
I would definitely agree that some drinks/bars/gels give people a dodgy stomach - I've heard this so many times. Best to try some out on a training ride when you're on your own so you can get in the hedgerow if need be :blush: .

I've got a proper strong stomach, your insides would fall out with some of the stuff I'm happy to eat :tongue:

It's only about 5 miles longer than it was last year (175 miles Vs 180 miles), and I used gels and all that then, just I bought em all separate and wanted to get boxes of stuff this year but was unsure what.

I'm not going to have any energy drink in time, so wondering if Ribena with added sugar would be good?

...I'm not going to have any energy drink in time, so wondering if Ribena with added sugar would be good?

I remember a very cold winter camping. The contents of the car froze - everything from the toothpaste to the tinned beans, to the washing up liquid, to the methylated spirits, to the condensation from our breath overnight. The only exception was the Ribena. I don't thnk you will need to add any more sugar to it!

e-rider

crappy member
I've got a proper strong stomach, your insides would fall out with some of the stuff I'm happy to eat :tongue:

It's only about 5 miles longer than it was last year (175 miles Vs 180 miles), and I used gels and all that then, just I bought em all separate and wanted to get boxes of stuff this year but was unsure what.

I'm not going to have any energy drink in time, so wondering if Ribena with added sugar would be good?

Ribena is pretty much just sugar

Broadside

Guru
I'm confused how you have the ability to maintain a 17/18pmh avg over 180 miles and yet you don't yet know how to fuel your body. The stats are those of an accomplished rider, or do you know the answers to your questions and are just looking for a second opinion?

I don't know the answers, I felt pretty rough at the end of the last long ride (165 miles @ 18.6mph avg), It must be my nutrition on the bike and what I drink.

I know that, on these longer rides, I have felt better than regular weekly club runs (100-150) miles, where I eat mars bars, the odd gel, beans on toast, blackcurrant juice or orange juice.

I'm just unsure as to what energy drinks, gels and all that to get, there is so many it's confusing!

When I do 50 mile rides I can get away with not eating, just need 2 bottled of drink, and on those I usually average between 20 and 21mph cause I use those sort of short distances as training for other things. Weird how I do 21mph avg on a 50 mile route yet I struggle to average 24mph for 10 miles.

Top Bottom