Energy drinks etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
I have bought a new racer and riding longer faster distances,than on my old steed.
I have had reccomendations for energy drinkks to aid stamina and help with recovery.
Equally so I have been told ...... . a waiste of money.
Would readers plese give me there opinions ?
Thank you
Doug.

I admit I am not in the first flush of youth and any energy producing product would help.

Garz

Squat Member
Some guys on here make their own with some salt, sugar etc or you can buy the tubs and make pre-mix solutions. To aid stamina and recovery I would have thought this was an after ride drink, so taking one whilst your out would be a bit pointless?

If your after energy as your riding then eat/drink properly beforehand and take the snack(s)/gel(s) water on the ride itself.

simon_brooke

Doug. said:
I have bought a new racer and riding longer faster distances,than on my old steed.
I have had reccomendations for energy drinkks to aid stamina and help with recovery.

I admit I am not in the first flush of youth and any energy producing product would help.

I used to think they were only for poncy gits. I used to get awful cramp after long rides. Now I don't. They taste off but you get used to it, and the lack of cramp is worth it. (I'm 53 if that helps).

Garz said:
To aid stamina and recovery I would have thought this was an after ride drink, so taking one whilst your out would be a bit pointless?

Part of the point is that the commercial ones contain slower burn carbohydrates rather than sugars, so they do help to keep you going on the ride (but not enough calories that you don't need to eat as well).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Have a look at the Zipvit website.

http://www.zipvit.co.uk/

They have a pretty neat offer on at the moment. A recovery box stuffed with samples of energy powders, bars, gels and recovery drinks + a rather neat water bottle for £3.99 inc. delivery.

Try it out and see what you think of the products

Cubist

Still wavin'
Pal of mine was raving about Gatorade the other day. I have used Lucozade Sport before, and have found it does help when you are flagging, so decided to try the gatorade. Before I bought any I compared all the ingredients of the ones on the shelf in Asda. Gatorade has something like 116 kcal energy and 6g carb per 100 ml, 6g of which is sugar. Lucozade Sport has roughly the same energy and the same carbs, but half the sugars. I then looked as Asda's own brand and found it had almost identical makeup to the gatorade, right down to the salts and so on. Asda's own cost £1.42 for four 500 ml bottles, Gatorade between 90p and £1.20 a bottle depending where you buy it.

I heartily recommend the Asda Berries flavour energy drink. If you need to pack in a boost of sugars, salts and water, then that gives just the same as the Gatorade.

I have no doubt that the gatorade corporation will tell me that their sugars and salts are sourced in some far more scientific way, but as I have now had four bottles of the Asda stuff and haven't grown breasts can't tell the difference, then guess where my money's going.

Ben M

Kestevan said:

They have a pretty neat offer on at the moment. A recovery box stuffed with samples of energy powders, bars, gels and recovery drinks + a rather neat water bottle for £3.99 inc. delivery.

Thanks for that, I've ordered one =]

As for what I usually use, I take a bottle of weak squash and a bottle of water in my cages, and a banana in my pocket/ saddlebag.

Post ride I have a whey shake with milk and oats.

yello

I don't think they are a waste of money but you can make your own energy drink that'll do the job.

Similarly, recovery drinks; chocolate milk is a cheaper option and works.

gavintc

Guru
Well, I find the gels excellent. I was struggling up Puig Major in Majorca (a 14km climb) yesterday morning and decided I needed a boost. A few mins later I could notice my speed had increased and was more comfortable in myself. The energy powders are good, but I also like to have a bottle of clean water as well. sometimes. the energy drinks can be a bit sickly.

jimboalee

Energy drinks are fine if you 'run out of gas' and need an emergency top-up.
A properly prepared evening meal/breakfast prior to the ride; and a sensible meal during the ride should be enough to feed you without expensive energy drinks.

If you are like me and take a daily vitamin tab with several 100% RDA of the essential vits, an emergency can of full sugar Coke will fuel for a dozen miles.

Pros get the gels and high energy stuff in just before a climb. The calorie rate goes from 10ish to over 30 per minute.

Attempting to get through a 100km ride on energy drink alone will prob give you 'liquid stomach' where there is no substance in there and brings a nauseous feeling.
Always eat something solid.

getfit

Kestevan said:

Just placed an order for myself, let you know the outcome.

GF

Ben M

this arrived for me today
Image000.jpg

2 energy drink mixes
recovery bar
energy gel
energy bar
recovery drink
fish oils
multivit tabs
drinks bottle (750ml)

for £3.99 inc postage

MajorMantra

yello said:
I couldn't (and still can't) find it on their web page.

I think the offer may have expired. Annoying, as I was thinking of getting it too. Or can someone provide an alternative link?

Matthew

Top Bottom