"Entry level" nonsense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Yuh even get 'FREE TAPE' with that saddle !

Abitrary

I think most sensible people read 'entry level' as cheap.

In the same way as they read medium fries as the smallest ones.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Crackle said:
Let's see: First road bike a Carlton Giro. 10 speed 52,42, Steel wheels, steel frame, Weinman brakes, French rear shifter (forget the name, really cheap), friction downtube shifters, rock hard moulded plastic saddle (which I never changed), cottered cranks, bolted on wheels and that was more or less it.

I used it for school, 25 mile journeys to a mates, discovered what cycling was all about, did two tours on it (with p clip rack fitted, homemade canvas panniers with coat hangars for frames - useless and a handlebar bag).

I broke two cranks, ruined three wheels but learned to build my own, found out why you can't just change a chain after a few thousand miles, learned how to take a freewheel apart and fix the pawls, learned to actually use the gears it had, after I'd changed the cheap french mech to a Japanese one and generally had great fun.

It eventually got stolen from my mates driveway :biggrin:

£500 is a top of the range superstar in comparison.

Sounds like my current ride. 12 speed, steel reynolds frame, weinmann brakes, sachs huret mech, downtube shifters. Rides like a dream and a I
absolutely love it ! :rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
In road bike terms entry level means enough to get you into Cat 4 racing. Seems a reasonable definition of a specification to me but whatever.

simoncc

'Entry level' is meant to make the potential buyer of such a product feel that he will embark on an inevitable series of purchases rather than just one isolated purchase. The implied message from the seller is that if you are satisfied with an entry level purchase you are quite possibly mean, poverty stricken or a bit fuddy-duddy and dull for resisting the normal modern need to 'upgrade' as soon as you can afford to.

simoncc

mickle said:
Its just a term which is used to describe cheapshit bikes without upsetting tightwads.

I've got what the O2 shop assistant described to me as an entry level mobile phone (£19.99 for the phone and £10 credit for 'loyalty to O2'). It can send and receive phone calls. Why enter any other level of the market?

Top Bottom