Entry Level Road Bikes @ £400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I've been looking at entry level road bikes at around the £400 mark, and so far I've only found a Raleigh Airlite 300.

Are they any good?

I've also spotted a Giant Defy 4 but it only has 2200 components on it.. I want to go for Sora or better.

Could someone please give me some suggestions of makes/models that I should be looking at for around £400?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
looks a reasonably decent bike, not ridden one though.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I have 2200 on my commuter bike, works ok, I'd go for Tiagra if poss. I have 105 on my Road bike, Tiagra is quite close.

mattyashy

I managed to get a 2006 (I think) Canondale R400, in brand new show room condition on ebay for that price. It comes with tiagra, carbon forks, mavic rims, and is nice and light. Can't complain - it's lovely to ride as well

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Someone has offered me their Specialized Allez Sport 2008 for £400, its a Sora/Tiagra mix (Tiagra on the rear). Is it worth £400 or should I try and knock the price down a bit?

Norm

I've been offered a 2010 model for only £525. I think you should see if the seller can't sharpen his pencil a bit.

Garz

Squat Member
Seeing as you can pickup a new 2010 model for £599 I think £400 for a second hand/used machine is a bit steep. Is there any upgrades or is it all original parts, if the latter I would knock them down more?

MrRidley

Sam Kennedy said:
I've been looking at entry level road bikes at around the £400 mark, and so far I've only found a Raleigh Airlite 300.

Are they any good?

I've also spotted a Giant Defy 4 but it only has 2200 components on it.. I want to go for Sora or better.

Could someone please give me some suggestions of makes/models that I should be looking at for around £400?

What's wrong with 2200 components? is this another "must have Sora/Tiagra/105" cause my mates will laugh if i dont thread, there are far too many bike snobs already.

SimonC

bhoyjim said:
What's wrong with 2200 components? is this another "must have Sora/Tiagra/105" cause my mates will laugh if i dont thread, there are far too many bike snobs already.

Nope, "must have Campagnolo" ;)

If its not a bike snob thread, which I dont think it is, you are certainly doing your best to hijack and make it one. Presume if you dont like people to have something other than the lowest spec in a range, you apply the same attitude to all aspects of your life??

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Sam Kennedy said:
Someone has offered me their Specialized Allez Sport 2008 for £400, its a Sora/Tiagra mix (Tiagra on the rear). Is it worth £400 or should I try and knock the price down a bit?

the standard rule of thumb for second hand is half the original price minus ten pounds for each year.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
SAM is NOT a bike snob, he just wants to spend his cash on something decent after a bad experience with an Argos special !!!! nothing wrong with that ;)

MrRidley

the anorak said:
SAM is NOT a bike snob, he just wants to spend his cash on something decent after a bad experience with an Argos special !!!! nothing wrong with that ;)

I agree with that, but i was making the point that far to many people are obsessed with the gears on their bike, i have a Defy myself which has 2200 on it, i have also tried out a bike with sora on it and i could'nt see what all the fuss was about.

Top Bottom