Espresso machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
mine :biggrin:

johnnyh

Veteran
should we have nominations for all types?

Stovetop, pumpless, manual lever, electric pump and them new fangled autopump jobbies?

Alan Whicker

Well, I love my Dualit. It replaced a Briel Due killed off by London's hard water (tip - use cheap spring water). I did toy with the idea of getting a La Pavoni or Elektra manual machine, but I couldn't be bothered with the faff in the mornings. I've been told by mates that have bought them that some of the cheaper Gaggia machines have quality control issues - buttons falling off, that sort of thing.

(edit: yes, stovetop mokas are great things. kept me going when the Briel karked it. I always forget to clean it though, leading to new forms of life being discovered in the cupboard six months later.)

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Alan Whicker said:
Well, I love my Dualit. It replaced a Briel Due killed off by London's hard water (tip - use cheap spring water). I did toy with the idea of getting a La Pavoni or Elektra manual machine, but I couldn't be bothered with the faff in the mornings. I've been told by mates that have bought them that some of the cheaper Gaggia machines have quality control issues - buttons falling off, that sort of thing.

I had a Gaggia, used to leak water out when under pressure, stripped it down and rebuilt it, no probs after that but not a patch on the Nespresso.

I moved from a soft water area (Buxton) down to a hard water area (North Somerset) and soon bought a water softener. :evil:

johnnyh

Veteran
I like the convenience idea of the nespresso, but it somehow feels like cheating and robs one of the whole ritual of making the espresso.

scook94

Veteran
This one!

What's your budget? Do you already have a good quality burr grinder?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Speck said:
Nespresso, suburb coffee, nice double Rosabaya

have to disagree i'm afraid. we saw them being demo'ed in the trafford centre and fell in love with the look of them (we'd already been wowed by the tv ad). tried two different types of coffee and neither was remotely nice.

Norm

Speck said:
Nespresso, suburb coffee, nice double Rosabaya
+1. Even down to the Rosabaya de Colombia. :angry:

Yes, hand-made is better but, damn me, the Nespresso is easy enough that my kids can make it, and getting a cup of fresh brought up to you in bed in the morning is worth a whole lot of convenience.

Top Bottom