Essex Season Ender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi all,

Has anyone taken part in the Essex Season Ender before? The BiL and I are considering it (following our previous London to Brighton and New Forest Ride (Standard route) as a logical way to extend our distance ever further. New forest (59 miles) he did in 3 hours 54, me 4 hours 56.

What's this one like? Am I quick enough? Anyone know the start time? Any hints / tips / reviews would be much appreciated.

I did it a couple of years ago (on-the-day entry, as the weather was nice!). It starts and finishes at Redbridge Cycline Centre, which is a cracking facility. There's nothing in the route that's remotely Ditchling Beacon-esque. I think the only time I found myself in 'just keep spinning mode' (my default for actual climbs that can't be brute-forced) was with about 8 miles to go - and even then, it's Essex so not a 'proper' climb.

It's a nice, rolling route through some of our quite lanes and at 8 o clock on a Sunday morning at this time of year, should be almost 'closed roads' quiet.

If you did a hilly 59 miles in 4/5 hours, then you should be fine for a rolling 70-odd in 6 hours, which means there'll still be people there to cheer you on to the timed lap of the Hog Hill circuit (which is optional anyway) at the finish.

I'd sign up meself, but I'm sat here with half a prostate and a sore ar$e at the moment so am off the bike for a bit :rolleyes:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Apparently the Sportive season ends in mid-November. Couldn't find any sportives listed after this one until March 2020 anyway...

vickster

Legendary Member
Apparently the Sportive season ends in mid-November. Couldn't find any sportives listed after this one until March 2020 anyway...
Ridden by wusses. Those well ard Audaxers ride in the depths of winter unlike weekend warrior MAMILs :whistle:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I've entertained the idea of Audax but I'm constantly concerned that I'm just too slow...
Maybe when I have a better bike and feel a bit quicker....

vickster

Legendary Member
I've entertained the idea of Audax but I'm constantly concerned that I'm just too slow...
Maybe when I have a better bike and feel a bit quicker....
Don't think you gave to be that quick, just have a lot of stamina and stubbornness

Top Bottom