Etape caledonia 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeW

Anyone here doing Etape Caledonia 2009?
I've just entered and notice there are over 2000 riders on the list.
I'm staying at http://www.pitlochrybackpackershotel.com , There are still some beds left if anyone still wants to enter.

Does anyone know what the road surfaces are like, will help me choose tyres. Also any idea of gradients, steepest climb? Will help me choose cassette (I have a 11-23, 12-27 or 11-34).

gavintc

Guru
There is only one decent hill and your fitness will define the ratios. Personally, I will be fitting a 12-27 for the hill, but if your legs can take it the 11-23 would be OK. The roads are back road tarmac and certainly good enough for 23mm tyres. There is the odd bit of gravel, but few potholes and it is generally a good surface. We entered last summer and are looking forward to our 2nd attempt at the course.

I did it last year and my 50/34 compact with a 12 to 25 cassette 23mm tyres coped fine; I enjoyed so much I've entered again. I was expecting a bit of a climb but it was actually quite gentle. The surfaces are like gavintc describes.

PS my sig has a link to the gps output of my ride and the 'elevation' link in the 'Activity Dashboard' gives yoa picture of grade profile.

Alves

HLaB said:
I enjoyed so much I've entered again.
sort of how I feel about it.
The "Schiehallion" hill is quite easy really although most folk did it a lot faster than me!
There are some lumpy short bits right at the end but they are short and steep and so long as you expect them they don't pose too much of a problem although psychologically, phew.
Road surfaces are excellent by highland standard btw.
My best day's cycling last year although I would not compare it to a good Audax day out which is a different sort of fun.

OP
OP
LeeW

LeeW

It seems like the steepest gradient is about 1:6. I think I will ride my Fujin SLII (weighs about 19lbs) fit the 12-27 cassette (I use 58/42/30 front). I think I will use my disc wheel in the back with 23-571 tyre, prob a Michelin pro2 race. 28-406 Schwalbe Stelvio front.

Yes I re-entered a couple of weeks back.

jong

HLaB said:
I did it last year and my 50/34 compact with a 12 to 25 cassette 23mm tyres coped fine; I enjoyed so much I've entered again. I was expecting a bit of a climb but it was actually quite gentle. The surfaces are like gavintc describes.

PS my sig has a link to the gps output of my ride and the 'elevation' link in the 'Activity Dashboard' gives yoa picture of grade profile.
Hi HLaB,

One of your previous posts mentions gps output for the Etape Caledonia route.

Where can I see this pls? I have also registered for this year's ride and interested in gradients etc.

Thanks,

Jon

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
Just click on my signature the link takes you straight to it.
Good Luck BTW

Your route profile is interesting. It disproves my own impression of a flat course with one hill and then a little sting at the end. The early miles were hillier than I remembered. It does suggest that hills are only really memorable when your legs are tired and complaining. The final little hill is way less significant than my body told me it was. I had to dig deep for that one. Anyway 4 months of prep remains.

Top Bottom