Etape Caledonia Sabotaged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Isla Valassi

Isla Valassi

Veteran
The report states a number of riders had come off their bikes. It would be interesting to find out if this happened on a downhill stretch. If so, then the perpetrator(s) should be looking at an attempted murder charge.

longers

Legendary Member
That is shocking ;):biggrin:!:blush:

It could easily have led to serious injuries.

Hope they find the culprit/s. Don't know how easy it will be but it'd be good if they do catch them.

fisha

Guru
I couldn't go this year, but think that its disgusting those actions and I would love to see someone hung out to dry over serious charges relating to it ... hopefully they will find then scum.

That's grim news, unfortunately I don't think they'll find who did it. Same thing has been happening on a local shared use path for years here, someone doesn't like bikes on it. Police have still not found who's doing it. It's very difficult to spot someone doing something like that.

LeeW

It happened from the bottom of the main hill, down the descent and around a loop at the bottom. After waiting at the top of the hill for about an hour, they had cleared the descent and also truncated the circuit by chopping out the 8 mile loop at the bottom of the descent.

So they placed the tacks in a place where it could cause the maximum amount of harm. :becool:

Acts like this should be treated in the same way as any 'terrorist' attack.

PaulB

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Acts like this should be treated in the same way as any 'terrorist' attack.

Perspective, please.

PaulB said:
Perspective, please.

I have plenty of perspective. I don't mean that we should send armed police around to kill the perpetrators! Although...:becool: There are many different type of 'terrorism' and I'm suggesting that this is just at the other end of the spectrum.
This type of attack is motivated in the way suggested has similarities, i.e. targeting innocent victims, high probability of injury or perhaps death, failure to use political or diplomatic means to resolve it etc. It is possible that tourism in the area will also suffer as a result of this 'attack'.

I just feel that the police should take this very seriously which I am sure, due to the publicity, they will.

yello

I'm just stunned that some idiot(s) would do such a thing. Someone could have gotten seriously hurt.

Just to add, I know terrorism isn't the right word, but it's the closest i could think of that relates to how I feel when people do this type of thing. :becool:

PaulB

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I have plenty of perspective.

We're all annoyed mate, but to liken it to terrorism weakens our argument and makes us (you) look silly.

Sorry, just seen your newest post and yes. terrorism is the wrong word as you've aknowledged.

PaulB said:
We're all annoyed mate, but to liken it to terrorism weakens our argument and makes us (you) look silly.

Sorry, just seen your newest post and yes. terrorism is the wrong word as you've aknowledged.

I suppose I'm just trying to say that it is an attack on a liberty. Anyway, this has side tracked enough.

I was fuming :becool: its maybe a bit over-dramatic but as far as I'm concerned its attempted murder :wacko: I was in a quite fast group going about 25mph downhill with a bend at the bottom when the front tyre blew I had a bit of a wobble that panicked others. Fortunately I was only struck once and held it but one of the blokes next to me was hit 5 times :smile: and reading the bbc others were not so lucky.

Top Bottom