ET's bike stays in Leicester!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the Guardian

Anyway, the film prop that we are concerned with today is the BMX from Steven Spielberg's Hollywood smash ET. You know, the one made famous in the scene where Elliot rides over the moon while his little alien friend sits in the basket. (God we love that film.)
Well, Kasabian frontman and ET superfan Tom Meighan now owns that very bike!

According to the Sun's cycling correspondent, Victoria Newton, "Tom heard that the famous BMX was up for sale last year and managed to track down the last collector who owned it - in Leicester!"

In Leicester? Well it must be fate, because that's where Kasabian are from!

Vic reports that Tom Kasabian is not only a massive fan of the film ET, but of all toys and childlike things in general.

A source said: 'Tom has a real childlike quality about him and his eyes light up at the merest mention of any childhood nostalgia. He could write a university dissertation on who the best superhero is out of Spider-Man, Batman and Superman.'"

He could, but who'd want to read that? He's best off penning more massive tunes so he can get his hands on Superman's cape and Batman's latex cowl and various other childhood mementos that are also useful at goth and fetish nights. Until then, at least he's got the bike to keep him company.

"It will take pride of place in his apartment and he'll be riding it - with his ET model in the basket."

Ah, this is the sweetest thing we've heard for ages. God we love Kasabian.

I've sent a message (unless I see him about town) to Tom that I want the bike on display at an exhibition later in the year:biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
Preferably with Kasabian there as well:biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
No just think how many more people will come to see your exhibition. Bit of extra publicity never did anyone any harm.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
History of cycling in Leicestershire with a lot of my recent research and much previously unseen material.

It will be at Cyclemagic in October or November and then elements of it will travel around the county.

Top Bottom