Ettiquette - Job Application Letter Salutation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's been a while since I last encountered this quandary.

I have a job application covering letter to complete - the person applied to has given their name, let's say it's "Jemima Smythe" but no other detail.

I'm a bit out of touch with current practice, but in the past, the appropriate salutation would have been "Dear Ms. Smythe", but reading around, some argue that the modern way would be to write "Dear Jemima Smythe," or even "Dear Jemima" (good grief!)

Does anyone working in recruitment, or with more recent experience than I have an opinion on what to use?

battered

Guru
Traditionally, for a job application, or any formal communication, even if you know the name, the correct form of address is "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam" and you close with "Yours faithfully".

MOdern usage may differ but the above form is correct if you have never met the person.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Depends on the kind of job/company. In my business - small company in the creative sector - anything not addressed to me by both names would be assumed to be a round-robin from someone too idle to find out about the company or its people, hence not worth even considering. A degree more formality would doubtless be more appropriate in a more 'corporate' enviornment...even there, tho', I suspect few would object to 'Dear Jemima Smythe'. But not 'Dear Jemima' - she's not your mate.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If she has not written to you and you have the name off a website then battered is technically correct although I personally think "Dear Ms Smyth" reads better.

brokenbetty

Über Member
[QUOTE 1185252"]
'I'm having trouble how to address you in a letter.'

Application...shredded.
[/quote]

Doh. If you are dumb enough to ask to speak to Jemima Smythe just to find out her salutation you deserve to be shredded.

Call the main number. Say to whoever answers: "Hi. I'm filling in a job application for Jemima Smythe. Can you tell me, does she prefer Miss, Ms or Mrs?" Receptionist knows / checks company directory / puts you on hold for a second and checks with the lady herself. Worst case is you don't find out and you are no worse than before.

jimboalee

Hey hottie, gizza job. I can do that.

Your own address at top right.
Date below own address.

Left justification.

"For the attention of Jemima Smythe."

She'll be a HR ( Human Resources, NOT Humated Remains ) officer and prob not the person who will be conducting the interview. She'll check your qualifications and legal permission to work in the country.

Danny

Legendary Member
I do quite a lot of recruitment (though am obviously not a woman).

If you have been asked to write to Jemima Smythe then I would use "Dear Ms Smythe". Nowadays women who prefer to be known as Miss or Mrs will tend to have the preferred salutation in brackets after their name - for example Jemima Smythe (Mrs).

However I would make sure that Jemima Smythe is not just the contact for further information. Often employers will give you a contact name, but still expect you to send your letter to the HR Department. If this is the case you should address your letter to "Dear Madam/Sir".

Having said all that I don't think it matters too much either way. Your prospective employer is going to be focussing on the content of the letter not the salutation.

Crankarm

Guru
Doh. If you are dumb enough to ask to speak to Jemima Smythe just to find out her salutation you deserve to be shredded.

Call the main number. Say to whoever answers: "Hi. I'm filling in a job application for Jemima Smythe. Can you tell me, does she prefer Miss, Ms or Mrs?" Receptionist knows / checks company directory / puts you on hold for a second and checks with the lady herself. Worst case is you don't find out and you are no worse than before.

Yes indeed you may speak with the receptionist who might tell you to wait while she asks.

Receptionist: "Oi Jez! There's some bloke on the phone who wants to know whether you want Mrs, Miss or some ovver title in front of you name?" Pause. "Uh huh, right right ok I'll tell 'im."

"Hi, sorry mate the job has been filled. Seeya!"

:laugh: .

brokenbetty

Über Member
Yes indeed you may speak with the receptionist who might tell you to wait while she asks.

Receptionist: "Oi Jez! There's some bloke on the phone who wants to know whether you want Mrs, Miss or some ovver title in front of you name?" Pause. "Uh huh, right right ok I'll tell 'im."

"Hi, sorry mate the job has been filled. Seeya!"

:laugh: .

Not in my experience Cranky. Yours obviously differs, assuming you are speaking from experience and not just blowing hot air around.

I'm recruiting right now BTW and I certainly wouldn't reject someone for making an effort to check something they weren't sure of. Smartarses, however, don't make it past the phone screen.

vbc

I'm of the opinion that if someone gives you their given (christian?) name rather than just an initial, then they are happy for you to use it in corespondance. In a face to face meeting, I'd be a little more formal unless, or until told otherwise.

Top Bottom