Eurovision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've just been buoyed up by discovering on a German web site that the German entry for this year's Eurovision is apparently called "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang". (I assume it's not an autobiographical complete account of a teenage boy's first experience of sex.) It looks like it could be a vintage year.

Waterloo changed it all for me. And also made me consider going out with a blonde haired girl for the first time in my life.

wafflycat

Andy in Sig said:
I've just been buoyed up by discovering on a German web site that the German entry for this year's Eurovision is apparently called "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang". (I assume it's not an autobiographical complete account of a teenage boy's first experience of sex.) It looks like it could be a vintage year.

So, it it a rip-off or a 'tribute' to James Bond then?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Anyone see Harry Hill sending up this year's British entry on TV Burp on Saturday?

(they showed the bit where the winner sang the British entry in tears having won the TV competition, making a right pigs ear of keeping it together, interspersed with Harry Hill in various national costumes saying 'no points' in many languages. Made me laugh, anyway...)

Won't be the same without Wogan, but it'll be interesting to see what Norton makes of it. He can certainly do the sarky comments, but he won't want to try and be Wogan, I don't think...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Watched it in Berlin in 2007 with my German friend. Initially I was gutted to discover I couldn't get a stream of Terry Wogan's commentary, instead it was someone else on Radio 2 and it wasn't the same. Plus the computer was in the next room to the TV so it didn't work very well.

So in the end we listened to the German commentary - and the scales fell from my eyes. Previously I had always believed the rest of Europe took Eurovision seriously and it was just us that laughed at it. But no, the German commentators were having as much fun as Terry.

I used to always have a barbecue and a bunch of people round to watch it, we all chose various countries to represent etc. Last year, though, was such a disappointment.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I LOVE Eurovision - we've always had a party, even before it became ironically cool. I'm v sad about Terry Wogan going but he's right to do so, it's a political horror these days and not half as much fun as it used to be. I do think Graham Norton will be excellent though.

Unfortunately the British song is just AWFUL! We won't be winning this year!

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Cathryn said:

No chance of a British win anyway, as the Wild Hordes from the East always vote for each other.
I didn't know Terry Wogan had finally decided to call it a day.

Cathryn said:
I LOVE Eurovision - we've always had a party, even before it became ironically cool. I'm v sad about Terry Wogan going but he's right to do so, it's a political horror these days and not half as much fun as it used to be. I do think Graham Norton will be excellent though.

I agree.

and

I agree. I was expecting something a lot more "pop-ish". It sounds rather like something from a musical to me.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A couple of years ago I was working with an Aussie guy who was a weird mix of computer savant and Yobbo (aussie redneck). He couldn't believe Europe was so small but had so many countries and so much history and he was always up for a discussion of the politics. So when Eurovision approached I told him,

"if you want to understand the last thousand years of European history, watch Eurovision"

The next morning he came in and just nodded.....

Arch

Married to Night Train
beanzontoast said:
I agree. I was expecting something a lot more "pop-ish". It sounds rather like something from a musical to me.

Gosh, it written by Andrew Lloyd Weber, who'd have thunk it?:evil:

I think Wogan giving up might be like Tom Lehrer giving up satire when Kissinger got a Nobel Peace prize. The block voting (on Eurovision) used to be a subject for mirth, but it's become so obvious now that the commentary is superfluous...

Arch said:
Gosh, it written by Andrew Lloyd Weber, who'd have thunk it?;)

I think Wogan giving up might be like Tom Lehrer giving up satire when Kissinger got a Nobel Peace prize. The block voting (on Eurovision) used to be a subject for mirth, but it's become so obvious now that the commentary is superfluous...

I think the commentary may become more important in the future. Half the time, I find the commentary more entertaining than the music!

Arch

Married to Night Train
beanzontoast said:
I think the commentary may become more important in the future. Half the time, I find the commentary more entertaining than the music!

Best year redcently was he year Finland one. Not only for the Finnish death metal, but for several other 'dreadful' (IE excellent!) entries. Albania was a real doozy that year, came about 5th I think.

Yes - there have been some fabulously wild and wonderful entries in recent years.

Can be quite entertaining to turn the sound off and just watch the visual effect, or close your eyes and listen so that the visuals have no impact on your judgement. There always seem to be songs/acts that don't appeal to my sense of musicality, yet which get bucketloads of points. Fun trying to guess what the voters of the rest of Europe will go for.

Top Bottom