Euston to Waterloo? Esp Malet Street & Waterloo Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm off on holiday this afternoon and need to change trains in London. I have a fold up bike so I could take it on the underground, but to be honest the bike will probably be faster!

I have the central London cycling map with me in hard copy, and I've just used TFL's journey planner to plot a map for me as well.

One question for those that know the area - my cycle map shows 'Malet Street' as a one way street heading northwards, where on the tfl site it's suggesting I go down there rather than the parallel Gower Street (which is a one way the direction I want to go). Is Malet Street a one way, and if so can cyclists pedal down it against the traffic?

Last question - is there anything I should know about Waterloo Bridge? Again, it's marked 'weekdays off-peak only' on my cycle map - is that true and if so what time is off-peak? I'll be there 7pm probably.

And, any other comments regarding the route would be appreciated - currently it's Gordon St, Malet Street (or Gower!), Bloomsbury, Shaftesbury, Endell, Bow, Wellington, over the bridge... (I may have missed some street name changes there!).

Thanks!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think there is a contraflow on Malet Street, but I reckon you're overcomplicating. Straight down Woburn Place, on to the Aldwych, get a three lanes over to the right, go right on to the Strand, filter left, come off the southern end of the Bridge in the right hand lane and go right at the big roundabout, go left in to the station.

If you don't fancy the right turn at the roundabout, stick in the left hand lane, and dismount when you're opposite Waterloo Underground - you can take the bike up the escalator from the Underground to the mainline station

I've no idea what the reference to 'off-peak...' is about. It's open all day and night.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
SavageHoutkop said:
I'm off on holiday this afternoon and need to change trains in London. I have a fold up bike so I could take it on the underground, but to be honest the bike will probably be faster!

I have the central London cycling map with me in hard copy, and I've just used TFL's journey planner to plot a map for me as well.

One question for those that know the area - my cycle map shows 'Malet Street' as a one way street heading northwards, where on the tfl site it's suggesting I go down there rather than the parallel Gower Street (which is a one way the direction I want to go). Is Malet Street a one way, and if so can cyclists pedal down it against the traffic?

Last question - is there anything I should know about Waterloo Bridge? Again, it's marked 'weekdays off-peak only' on my cycle map - is that true and if so what time is off-peak? I'll be there 7pm probably.

And, any other comments regarding the route would be appreciated - currently it's Gordon St, Malet Street (or Gower!), Bloomsbury, Shaftesbury, Endell, Bow, Wellington, over the bridge... (I may have missed some street name changes there!).

Thanks!

From recolection, Mallet is a northbound one way..I would suggest you go a little further down the Euston road to Southampton then south all the way down onto kingsway and across the aldwych circular (Southampton house)

I used to work above the station at the esso building and saw hundreds of bikes chained to the railings outside the station along with long term bike locks, thery had some scaffold up (See pic) but some railings still exist up behind the taxi and the blue vans in the shot (on the left)

good luck

Untitled-1copy.jpg

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Malet St is a contraflow.

But don't waste your time with TFL routes, just do what Dellers said, there will be loads of other cyclists doing the same thing, so don't worry about the busy roads....

Twanger

Über Member
Perhaps" weekdays off peak only " refers to car parking in the cycle lane. Though why that should appear on a cycle map i know not. Back in the day (hideous phrase) that was a real issue.....

skrx

I think Gower Street has a bus lane.

I like the smaller streets, they're more interesting and I find it more relaxing if there aren't three lanes of traffic. It might be easier to navigate on the main roads though.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
So far as cycling is concerned Malet St is two way. For motorised transport it's best described as "complex". There is no east/west to south turn from Byng Place but there is a regular s/b flow from the university buildings (some of which are building sites) and beyond Keppel St it's southbound only but rapidly divides towards Russell Sq or Gower St with a segregated cycle lanes around the back of the British Museum.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
No wonder I always manage to take wrong turns when cycling in London! Thanks for all the info everyone, sorry to say we chickened out (it was raining & I didn't want to spend three hours on the train in wet gear, and my waterproofs were under all the other luggage...). So took the tube instead...

Top Bottom