Even more close overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rog

Like others on the forum, I've also been suffering from a recent spate of uncomfortable overtakes. Whilst its tempting to brush these off as isolated incidents of driver muppetery, these have occurred in the same spot, on the same road at roughly the same time! :sad:

to get to work, i unfortunately need to get through vauxhall cross. its a cyclist worst nightmare as there are 6 lanes of traffic to negotiate and I need to be in the middle lane. Great..!

To get through in one piece, I try to hold a position in the middle of the middle lane until I get through the junction and can pull into the relative calm of the bus lane.

...However, whilst this positioning ensures I can be 'seen', it doesnt mean that I am 'safe'. It would appear that certain drivers (in my case van drivers) seem to suffer from some bizarre Pavlovian response whenever they see a cyclist, as they are compelled to overtake - no matter what the traffic, road condidtions or risk to others. here's some examples.

first one was from the beginning of december.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rOiRdffcbbI

thanks to the driver in the inside lane who braked and let me change lanes...

second was from last friday. got two for the price of one here.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9jpDqjC64

there's nothing like coming to a sudden standstill in the middle of a busy road to make you feel 'exposed'. if you listen closely you can hear me banging on the back of the van...:thumbsup:

third was from this morning

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t9KWnbcwcqQ

I heard the van approaching but before i knew it, he was already alongside and pulling across. absolutely pointless as the traffic was stopping ahead.

what's a poor cyclist to do? :biggrin:

yello

It's not a nice place to cycle, I'll give you that.

I've driven it too and it's also not the easiest place to get through by car either. You get 'pulled in on' in a car too. I think it helps to know which lane you need well in advance because you have relatively little time to get into the right one after one set of lets and before the next, and with traffic and signs all over the place, it isn't the easiest. And then there's WVM! And he doesn't give a toss anyway!

I don't think you did anything wrong btw, and I'm not defending those particular drivers in any way. It's a bit of a free-for-all there, you have sympathies.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That looks a great route...not...argh..... thank goodness I think a wide road is 3 lanes, and I only need the inside.....that looks horrible....

Hmm. That is a difficult place to cycle and there are certainly some muppets there. At least the relative speeds are pretty low. It's just one of those spots where you have to keep your wits about you. Not much else you could do in my opinion.:rolleyes:

HLaB said:
The overtakes were bad but the undertakes were truly shocking:ohmy: I'm glad I don't commute in London.
Just thinking about it; I am often too close to the back of a vehicle to cut down the space for idiot to pull into :smile:

I reckon you'd cope fine with London.

Patronising I know.:rolleyes:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Eat MY Dust said:
Is that the same blue van at the start of the 2nd video that nearly takes you out in the 1st!!

It certainly looks the same.

yello

magnatom said:
It's just one of those spots where you have to keep your wits about you. Not much else you could do in my opinion.;)

Mine too. It would be made easier if some drivers would chill out a little and engage brain but it is sadly a difficult roundabout for all to navigate.

OP
OP
rog

rog

Eat MY Dust said:
Is that the same blue van at the start of the 2nd video that nearly takes you out in the 1st!!

its from the same company - G4S (used to be Securicor) not sure if its the same driver though as I didn't manage to clock his plate in the first vid. its also the same guys that BM caught running a red light last year so certainly one to avoid.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
HLaB said:
The overtakes were bad but the undertakes were truly shocking:ohmy: I'm glad I don't commute in London.
Just thinking about it; I am often too close to the back of a vehicle to cut down the space for idiot to pull into :tongue:

I used to ride close to the vehicle in front to prevent anyone trying a silly move & pulling into the space in front of me. Then I learned one night that it didn't leave me a lot of braking distance if the car I'm behind does an emergency stop...

goo_mason said:
I used to ride close to the vehicle in front to prevent anyone trying a silly move & pulling into the space in front of me. Then I learned one night that it didn't leave me a lot of braking distance if the car I'm behind does an emergency stop...
Its not ideal but I like to have a emergency get out preferably on the right and try to read the road ahead of them and it has to be a road I know well. I wouldn't like to relax though, you have to keep your wits about you.

bryce

I don't think your method of taking 'primary' position is working.

Couldn't you keep on the left of the lane then for sure cars would not try to undertake and pull in on your lane. I imagine you the ones overtaking would treat you better as well.

I think a cyclist in that type of junction needs to treat car drivers as if they have a brain (I know some don't) and let them execute overtakes if they are able to safely. By taking 'primary' position you're just treating them all like incompetent idiots, which will rile them.

Agreed that junction is atrocious for cyclists and I avoid it like the plague. Isn't there a green pavement cycle lane though?

Top Bottom