Ever stained/dyed a wooden floor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Planning to stain a newly-laid wooden floor, and it all sounds pretty straightforward, but it's a pale floor and a dark dye and we're a bit nervous 'cos it's kind of a one-shot deal, and there's no going back if you make it patchy or smeary. Has anyone out there ever done this? Was it easy? Did it work? Any hints & tips? Any help and advice much appreciated.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Make sure the floor surface is clean. Any dirty marks will be fixed in place with the stain. Check to make sure there are no other finishes on the floor, wax, varnish, glue, etc. will prevent the stain from taking and you will get an unstained spot.

Test the stain on a bit of spare floor timber, if you have some, to see how it looks when dried. The application method also varies how it looks so you may need to see the differences between using a brush, using a cloth and using whatever else is recommended on the stain. The number of coats of stain will darken the finish, that could include the number of times the brush goes over the same board while applying the stain the first time round.
Always apply the stain in the same direction as the wood grain and not across it.

Also if you are applying a varnish or wax over the top this could also affect the finished appearance and that will need testing and checking

Wear latex gloves as it will stain your fingers and open all the windows as the fumes will knock you out and will be flammable.

If you are using cloths to apply or to wipe up spills, brushes etc, don't throw them in the bin. Leave them out flat to fully dry, hung on a washing line maybe, before disposing of them as they can spontaineously combust. Otherwise store them in a sealed jam jar if you are going to reuse them.

I've never done a floor but have done furniture and would often have a test board of all the different methods of applying to see what it looks like.

Oh, work from the furthest point from the door and work towards your escape route. Ensure that you do not need to re enter too soon to close windows due to rain or going out as you don't want to walk on the floor until it is dry.
When dry don't tread dirt into the floor (socks or dust sheets only) until you have applied the varnish or wax finish.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done a few floors. It's pretty straightforward as NT says. Don't over apply but make sure it's the colour you want especially if it's dark. I regretted doing one too dark and ended up re-sanding it a year later.
Is it a stain or a stained varnish?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Ahhh, similar to Osmo oil, that should be good then.

You should have a simple two step process, apply an even coat, let dry, buff to a sheen and enjoy! Do read the instructions though as I've not worked with this particular product before.

The buffing could be a back breaking task over a floor area though so it may be worth checking the hire cost of a floor polisher with new clean buffers on it.

Many of my students latched onto clear Osmo oil as a furniture finish as it was easy to apply, gave a good sheen and was very hard wearing.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've used Osmo oil once on a hardwood oak floor. It didn't need buffing and looks good. I would say, however, that it isn't particularly hard-wearing. Mine was in a little used room and while it doesn't necessarily wear thin quickly, it does show scratches quite easily.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
some woods take stain unevenly - by which I mean the grain is accentuated. If you can't take up a board and test the stain on the reverse I'd do a small test patch under the sofa

the strength of the finish depends on the grain of the wood. I've used water-based acrylic coats on pine and (the newly fashionable) birch faced ply floors and it looked worn in a year. I used the same stuff on a maple floor fourteen years ago and it looks as good as new.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've used Osmo oil once on a hardwood oak floor. It didn't need buffing and looks good. I would say, however, that it isn't particularly hard-wearing. Mine was in a little used room and while it doesn't necessarily wear thin quickly, it does show scratches quite easily.
Granted we only used it on furniture. No idea what it is like on a floor.

Top Bottom