Every new cyclist has to learn but !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am a fan of that type of pump but tend to use Topeak's various versions. Am wary of less known ones since on tour I once had problems with one - only just managed to reinflate a tyre when the pump started to come apart. Also, can you get spare inserts, seals? Topeak tend to be very good about those sorts of things. Can you take the pump apart to service/lube it? I have a nice mini track pump from Edinburgh Bike Co-Op - nicely made but totally sealed - if it ever misbehaves it will have to go in a skip.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, we've seen and stopped a young woman riding a bike with the forks back to front. It's amazing how ignorant some people are.
Variation on that: we've helped someone riding a bike with the forks correct, but the bars had turned through 360° at some point, so the front brake was being applied when they turned right... easiest fix ever?

mjr

I have a nice mini track pump from Edinburgh Bike Co-Op - nicely made but totally sealed - if it ever misbehaves it will have to go in a skip.
Depending on when, that may be a rebadged giyo like I believe my Revolution pump to be - some are serviceable but not very friendly or easy to do.

A foot long really isn't "mini".

MiK1138

Veteran
Ach, that's nothing: when I first started cycling I thought the tyres were solid, did not know about inner tubes, so when the tyre started to get soft I went into a shop asking for a new one :laugh:
Ha Ha when I started cycling tires where solid then the nice Mr Dunlop came along :laugh::pump:

Reactions: C R
Depending on when, that may be a rebadged giyo like I believe my Revolution pump to be - some are serviceable but not very friendly or easy to do.
oo, you may be right mjr.

Bit of googling found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIYO-Por...0-Psi-Gauge-Black-Friday-/352211382115?clk_rv

which looks like mine.

and has the metal foot bracket.

Nice pump but I can see no way of getting into mine to sort seal issues (often resolved by a bit of halfpenny grease) and I seem to remember that Edinburgh Bike Co-Op confirmed this.

I wouldn't buy any pump now that couldn't be taken apart.

** Word of warning to you nice folk if you ever come across a numpty mamil or minimalist metropolitan hipster trying to pump their tyres with something that looks like a bit of jewellry or anal insert - do NOT offer them your mini track pump. One of my Topeaks had the foot thing snapped off when the numpty, unacustomed to its simple non trendy good design, folded it out the wrong way and promptly snapped it off. Let the mamils/hipsters sweat.

edit - I see that is from Hong Kong. If customs count the postage charge as part of the purchase price (do they?) that might put it over the £15 which, as I understand it, means you are in the clear with regard to either tax or import duty (plus the big extra amount the post office will charge for collecting the tax.

Seem to remember that I got mine for about £15 in an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op s sale. Nice pump. Functio/nally as good as a Topeak in my experience, despite the somewhat hard to see guage. If you do know a way to service it mjr please spill the beans.

Last edited:

mjr

** Word of warning to you nice folk if you ever come across a numpty mamil or minimalist metropolitan hipster trying to pump their tyres with something that looks like a bit of jewellry or anal insert - do NOT offer them your mini track pump. One of my Topeaks had the foot thing snapped off when the numpty, unacustomed to its simple non trendy good design, folded it out the wrong way and promptly snapped it off. Let the mamils/hipsters sweat.
Or you pump it up for them, saying it's no trouble long after it obviously is... but I'm not losing another pump like that!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can sort-of forgive the owner, but the donkey in the shop who assembled it ffs !

It was a supermarket special and when I asked her who built the bike she replied: "My boyfriend".

I retorted: "Well he doesn't know much about bikes, does he?"

It was a supermarket special and when I asked her who built the bike she replied: "My boyfriend".

I retorted: "Well he doesn't know much about bikes, does he?"
I WILL avoid the hanging smut comment.
I WILL.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 5238337, member: 43827"]Why stop at cyclists. A few years back when out for a ride I came across a man in a wheelchair being pushed by his wife. They were stopped because the two of his tyres were flat, and she was struggling. I pumped both of the tyres up and waited a while to make sure they were not losing air too quickly.

How many wheelchair users bother with pumps, spare tyres or puncture kits?

Some people are more aware of, and prepared for, problems than others. That's people for you![/QUOTE]

I was in a camping field in Wiltshire where a disabled boy on an off road wheelchair (which was super cool) was doing his DOE. He had struggled with a puncture for serval hours of his yomp. No spares etc.

I offered to mend it and the teacher was delighted. However the boy insisted his dad did it and the teacher had to refuse my offer. Curiously the dad drove all the way to the campsite....from Surrey. He patched the inner tube but couldn’t pump it up. Again I offered him my pump. He refused. Off he drove again to a Halfords and bought two cheap pumps. The first one snapped. The second one finally did the job.

Nowt as queer as folk. I found it very weird.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
potential thread divert alert.

where did you pick up that wonderful (and I always think very humane) phrase heltor?

I thought it was northern and didn't think you were northern?

I am a culture thief. Anything I like that other nationalities or cultures do, I borrow it and use it for my own delight. When I’m in a bad place, I’d like to adopt the Sicilian Slap from the 70s, but so far I have managed great restraint. All the rest are niceties. When I am paid in cash by clients I accept it with two hands, Thai style.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I went cycling with a mate once who was petrified of traffic. Before the ride this bloke in his twenties had to get his dad to pump his tyres up for him. And then he was cocky and said he wanted to cycle up a steep local climb. He gave up and started pushing 10 yards from the bottom of the hill by which time I was nearly at the top. Whenever a car came up behind, he would wildly serve onto the pavement and shout to me, "Quick get off the road there's a car coming." Lol. I laughed harder when he cycled so far over to one side when car was coming that he rode into a ditch and bumped his gentleman's area on the top tube. I think he gained a greater respect for cyclists after that.

Top Bottom