Exmoor Beast - a classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron Keegan

Elswhere on the net, the organiser of the Exmoor Beast is pondering if the event has already achieved ' Classic ' status. With over 3 months to go and approaching 400 riders already signed up, the event is clearly a popular choice, but is it a classic?. ' The Beast ' has been going for half a dozen years now and it's reputation for slick presentation regularly attracts well over a thousand entries, but is it a classic? I've ridden it a couple of times and it certainly ticks all the right boxes for me, but what do other sportivistas think; is it a classic?

Wild Rover

Regular
I think it's approaching classic status, but hasn't quite reached the 'classic' status of the Dartmoor Devil audax that usually runs on the same weekend (or indeed the 'Dartmoor Classic' sportive which is aptly named - look at the demand for that!). Generally, I think most sportives have some way to go before they can claim the 'classic' status deserved by many audaxes such as the Brian Chapman, Kernow & south west etc..

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I've ridden both the Devil and the Beast, both are well organised and very good routes, and due to the time of year they are run sometimes in very challenging weather !

2009's Beast springs to mind !

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Just a quick reminder guys and gals, the 2012 Exmoor Beast has just hit a thousand entries; nearly 300 up on this time last year. The event's parking allocation at Butlins, in Minehead, may become an issue, if the current rate of daily entries continues. Closing date for the ride is Oct 22. If you fancy a ride, in the U.K's. biggest end of season sportive, best act now. Click on www.exmoorbeast.org to get signed up.

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Although you say it's way too tough for you Peteaud, 'THE BEAST' is a very doable challenge for the majority of riders who are reasonably prepared. Even my non cycling daughter completed it a couple of years ago. With 3 children 2 dogs and a demanding job, her preparation was - to say the least - very limited., but she got round and could still down her half of Exmoor Beast Ale at the finish. Come on give it a go mate, if she can do it so can you.

Peteaud

Veteran
Although you say it's way too tough for you Peteaud, 'THE BEAST' is a very doable challenge for the majority of riders who are reasonably prepared. Even my non cycling daughter completed it a couple of years ago. With 3 children 2 dogs and a demanding job, her preparation was - to say the least - very limited., but she got round and could still down her half of Exmoor Beast Ale at the finish. Come on give it a go mate, if she can do it so can you.

Next year yes i will, this year with everything going on, no way.

vorsprung

Veteran
The Exmoor Beast does seem like an odd concept

Take 1000 people, half of which aren't experienced cyclists. Make the event at the end of October when the weather is terrible. Send the ride over some moorlands.

Clearly people love it, but it is stupid

This "Classic" business has ceased to annoy me. It's not to do with the age of the event, it's a comparison with the "Spring Classics" in Europe. These pro cycling "Classics" are usually 150km to 250km and on hilly courses. The same as many UK sportives.

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

I'd like to address the above points, made by vorsprung.
Actually, it's usually more like 1400 people; with 17 days still to go before entries close , over 1200 have already signed up.
If half of them "aren't experienced cyclists" , how come there are relatively so few abandonments?
Cycling is a year round activity - that's why riders buy overboots,base layers, gloves, buffs and rain jackets - so why not the end of October? When it was originally held in November, there was even an Indian summer, with riders reaching for the shades and applying the sun screen. The weather has, in fact, only been really atrocious once.
Yes, people love it because:- it's a truly great challenge, they love being part of the big ocassion, the atmosphere and camaraderie is fantastic and 'The Beast Team' do a superb organisational job.
Is it a classic? Now in its sixth year, and given the above, I'd certainly say it is.
Any chance you'll join this year's party vorsprung?

Marcus Di-Vincenzo

Nice to see the chat online about the event! The concept of this event was one that allowed riders to have one last blow out before the bikes go away for the winter. The first year of this event had fantastic sunshine and was the perfect day for cycling, and we haven't had tornadoes every year. With respect to a classic, above it was mentioned that The Dartmoor Classic is correctly named, i agree but its not because it fills up quick, its because its had it all. Weather, great routes, great stories and great organisation. I think that makes a classic, having everything and having the name that everyone talks about. The Exmoor Beast in my eyes has it all and more. In 2009 the event was written about by every cycling mag and blog in the country and the quote "When God said no, 1300 riders said Yes", was born. If that is not Classic I dont know what is!!

Thanks for taking interest and whichever ride you do, do it safely!

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

No, it's not inappropriate at all to ask if I have some sort of connection to this event ferret fur.
I'm the proud father-in-law of the guy who organises it, Marcus Di Vincenzo.
Why do you ask?

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Perhaps Ajay, you should have let ferret fur answere my question before jumping in with your own opinion.Hover, why not "blatant plugging of events" if they're good ones, more people are encouraged to rise to the challenge, they then get bitten by the sportive bug and become more regular and better cyclists? I'm passionate about the bike game, I voluntarily work hard to promote sportives - including the Dartmoor Classic - and believe wholeheartedly in what I do to further this great sport of ours.

Ajay

Veteran
Hardly jumping in Ron, it is an open thread, not a private conversation!
This forum thrives on peer-to-peer reviews, advice and opinion, so sales patter stands out like a sore thumb.

(Good luck with the event btw)

Top Bottom