exmoor beast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
There's a thread just down the page here about the Beastie - I'm not doing it (have another ride on the other side of the UK pencilled in!).

Lance Substrong

Are you crazy Baggy; you "have another ride pencilled in."? My advice is to reach for the eraser, rub out what you've pencilled in, ink in the Exmoor Beast and register your entry pronto. Believe me, I've ridden every year and it is, without doubt, THE, MUST-DO, end-of-season sportive. The route is awesome and ( whatever the weather ) the big occasion atmosphere is always a huge buzz. Those who tamed The Beast last year have been dining out on the incredible experience for the past 10 months.

oldroadman

Veteran
Are you crazy Baggy; you "have another ride pencilled in."? My advice is to reach for the eraser, rub out what you've pencilled in, ink in the Exmoor Beast and register your entry pronto. Believe me, I've ridden every year and it is, without doubt, THE, MUST-DO, end-of-season sportive. The route is awesome and ( whatever the weather ) the big occasion atmosphere is always a huge buzz. Those who tamed The Beast last year have been dining out on the incredible experience for the past 10 months.

Steady now, it's only a 160km potter round the lumpiest bits of Devon!

Threelionsbrian

The Dartmoor Devil is on the same day

INFO

Shorter route and £20 cheaper, 2500m climbing

I wish events didn't clash like this poor planning IMO. I know they attract slighty different types of riders but it's not good for those that like both. The Devil is well established at that date slot.

Lance Substrong

I wish events didn't clash like this poor planning IMO. I know they attract slighty different types of riders but it's not good for those that like both. The Devil is well established at that date slot.

Given the phenominally rapid growth in demand for organised rides, date clashes are now, unfortunately, inevitable. So, if it's about saving money, then go for the cheap option. The events didn't clash last year when The Devil - as well established as it is - attracted less than 200 entries, while The Beast topped 1700. As they say, you pays your money and you takes choice.

Threelionsbrian

Given the phenominally rapid growth in demand for organised rides, date clashes are now, unfortunately, inevitable. So, if it's about saving money, then go for the cheap option. The events didn't clash last year when The Devil - as well established as it is - attracted less than 200 entries, while The Beast topped 1700. As they say, you pays your money and you takes choice.

Its not about saving money, it's about a date clash and 2 events in the same area. Some people are actually capable of riding both types of event.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The Devil - as well established as it is - attracted less than 200 entries, while The Beast topped 1700. As they say, you pays your money and you takes choice.
The Devil is limited to 200 entries though, with the inevitable result that there are always a few DNS on the day. Irrespective of the size of the field it is a shame when things clash as there aren't *that* many events in this neck of the woods (I hold my hand up to the fact the Exmouth Exodus clashed with the Dartmoor Classic this year, but there are only so many full moons in the year!).
I'm still not riding the Beast or the Devil this year though! :tongue:

Lance Substrong

The Devil is limited to 200 entries though, with the inevitable result that there are always a few DNS on the day. Irrespective of the size of the field it is a shame when things clash as there aren't *that* many events in this neck of the woods (I hold my hand up to the fact the Exmouth Exodus clashed with the Dartmoor Classic this year, but there are only so many full moons in the year!).
I'm still not riding the Beast or the Devil this year though! :tongue:

It was Tincanman who raised the money issue, not I, and I don't want to fall out with anybody over date clashes and such. At the end of the day we're all bikies and passionate about our sport. The fact is, the two events in question are in different counties with their start / finish areas about 60 miles apart. Events can coexist in even closer proximity; witness the FORCE ride and Dartmoor Classic. The former, well established Topsham based event attracted a record 800 plus field this year, while the relatively new Dartmoor Classic still managed to attract over 2200. These figures surely demonstrate people are making a choice and some are now alternating which event they ride. With regard to the Exmouth Exodus, there was one rider who didn't see it as a clash with the Dartmoor Classic - he finished his overnight ride from Bristol and then went straight to the start of the Newton Abbot based event; crazy or what? Off with the lads now for a leisurely 100k with a pub lunch stop and the sun is shining; how lucky are we to be involved in the best sport in the world?

Cheers.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Don't think anyone is trying to fall out with anyone - I fully appreciate sometimes things are going to clash and for event organisers, setting dates isn't always as straightforward as it looks, but still agree with Brian's sentiment that it's sometimes a bugger when things you fancy having a crack at clash.

With regard to the Exmouth Exodus, there was one rider who didn't see it as a clash with the Dartmoor Classic - he finished his overnight ride from Bristol and then went straight to the start of the Newton Abbot based event; crazy or what?
William...he even managed 15 mins of sleep in between rides!

Now back to the original topic...sarah seems to like hills, so think she might enjoy the 100k Beast...

Threelionsbrian

It was Tincanman who raised the money issue, not I, and I don't want to fall out with anybody over date clashes and such. At the end of the day we're all bikies and passionate about our sport. The fact is, the two events in question are in different counties with their start / finish areas about 60 miles apart. Events can coexist in even closer proximity; witness the FORCE ride and Dartmoor Classic. The former, well established Topsham based event attracted a record 800 plus field this year, while the relatively new Dartmoor Classic still managed to attract over 2200. These figures surely demonstrate people are making a choice and some are now alternating which event they ride. With regard to the Exmouth Exodus, there was one rider who didn't see it as a clash with the Dartmoor Classic - he finished his overnight ride from Bristol and then went straight to the start of the Newton Abbot based event; crazy or what? Off with the lads now for a leisurely 100k with a pub lunch stop and the sun is shining; how lucky are we to be involved in the best sport in the world?

Cheers.

It depends on the reasoning behind the clashes if it is purely financial then i would find it more annoying. In the case of the Exodus it is just one of those unfortunate things this year.

Nasawing

I'm going to give it [The Beast] a bash this year as my first major event. I've heard plenty of good things about the way its organised and I guess its that knowledge thats clinched it for me. Personally, as a newb, I think the fact that there's so much choice and a bit of competition between events is a fantastic thing! It means all of the organisers are trying harder than ever to lay on the best possible experience for the riders. It also reflects the success and growth of the sport - which can only be a good thing for all of us!

Anyone else reading this thread going to go? I checked up on The Beast website earlier and was amazed by the number of pre-registrations even this early on. Is that normal???

Lance Substrong

I'm going to give it [The Beast] a bash this year as my first major event. I've heard plenty of good things about the way its organised and I guess its that knowledge thats clinched it for me. Personally, as a newb, I think the fact that there's so much choice and a bit of competition between events is a fantastic thing! It means all of the organisers are trying harder than ever to lay on the best possible experience for the riders. It also reflects the success and growth of the sport - which can only be a good thing for all of us!

Anyone else reading this thread going to go? I checked up on The Beast website earlier and was amazed by the number of pre-registrations even this early on. Is that normal???

I'm already entered along with about 500 others. With about 10 weeks to go, this is up on this time last year, when 1700 pre-registered. From now on, the list of riders builds steadily and then with a few weeks to go the rate dramatically increases as riders rush to get their entries in before the cut-off. Inevitably, some leave it too late and miss the boat. My advice is to get your entry in now and then you know your place is secure. It's a fantastic event which, I think, is one of the best in the country and I know you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom