Experienced Cyclist - Lower Back Pain...Solved (hopefully!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_S1

Regular
Hi all,
I'm new here, looking for some advice from fellow Velominati! :okay:

I've been a roadie since I was a teen and I'm now 53. Mostly I ride weekends, ~50km solo Saturday and ~80km Sunday club group ride. Last year I clocked up 8500km according to Strava and I consider myself reasonably fit.

However, since last year I've been suffering increasingly from lower back pain, after riding at the weekend. Last Monday I woke up in agony. My bike is the same set up (Scott Solace, carbon endurance model) and I'm riding the same local routes I've always ridden, so I'm not sure why I've started to suffer this problem.

Some ideas:
1. Old age catching up....(can't be...I'm considered a "youngster" in my club!)
2. Weaker muscles due to more sitting, working from home on computer during the week (especially since Covid)?
3. Never had a bike fit...could be related?
4. Some underlying health issue that's getting worse!

I've tried to work on my core muscles, doing planks and following other lower back exercises, which helps a bit, but I'm still worried that if the problem keeps getting worse I may need to hang up my cycling shoes and call it a day....which would be a disaster! :cry:

Any comments welcome - cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see a physio, get checked over :okay: If possible find one who’s interested in cycling, even who does bike fits :okay:

yello

Maybe 2. What's your usual work? Would it be something that requires continual core strength? It's possible that your comparative enforced inactivity has reduced that and your exercises, whilst helping, are not enough.

Personally, with any new aches or pains (or indeed any new anythings) I look first at what has changed recently before I broaden the search. I remember once going to A&E with a skin rash all down my side and the doc's first question was 'have you changed washing powder?'! It might sound obvious now but I didn't think of it, and whilst it wasn't the case I nevertheless remembered the approach.

OP
OP
Steve_S1

Steve_S1

Regular
Thanks for the great feedback all. Lots to consider.

I'll look into the physio options and also check my position on the bike. I like the idea of dropping the saddle a fraction. I do feel like I've shrunk a bit with age so that would make sense!

Regarding my work, I've been desk-based for the last 16 years but until 2 years ago my office was closer and I was able to commute by bike ~10km each way. Perhaps not riding to / from work has weakened my body and caused the back problem (or at least not helped). More exercise during the week could be the answer. :training:

I'm on a mission now to fix my back problem.

Have a chat with your GP and get checked out for spondylitis with a HL-B27 test, this is a type of arthritis that comes and goes and your smack bang in the middle of the age bracket for people who develop this. Pain in the lower back is a symptom. It is different to rheumatoid arthritis.

Also as you are desk based and not cycle commuting at the moment there is a chance your pelvis has a slight tilt which can also cause back pain.Your calf muscles will tighten pulling your pelvis forward and you then over correct with the spine to fix. You need to stretch out the calf muscles rather than strengthening the glutes with targeted physio.

Once you have ruled out the above and ruled out any trauma to the back then it is likely to be muscular weakness and physio can help with that but you may need to wait if you go through the NHS.

jags

Guru
I feel for you been a long time suffer with lower back pain tried everything nothing works I have ordered a electric front wheel 250watt to help getting up hills which is pure torture to me.only advice I can give is stretch every day try not to put weight on take pain killers when pain is bad that's what there for. get a probike fit done as soon as you can.dont be a hero on the bike especially on group rides.best of luck sure hope you get sorted.

simonipa

I’ve found that Yoga has significantly helped with my lower back pain . It has greatly improved my flexibility, which is so important to the health of your spine.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
As someone heading into the 50s this last year has been painful with low back pain. In fact I wonder if it’s sciatica. I do think it might be lacking in core strength as well. I really should try more stretching and exercises off the bike .

vickster

Legendary Member
As someone heading into the 50s this last year has been painful with low back pain. In fact I wonder if it’s sciatica. I do think it might be lacking in core strength as well. I really should try more stretching and exercises off the bike .
Pain in back of leg(s) or buttock(s)? Weakness? Difficulty in doing a straight leg raise.

@Steve_S1 Can you touch your toes? If not, work those hamstrings....

OP
OP
Steve_S1

Steve_S1

Regular
Have a chat with your GP and get checked out for spondylitis with a HL-B27 test, this is a type of arthritis that comes and goes and your smack bang in the middle of the age bracket for people who develop this. Pain in the lower back is a symptom. It is different to rheumatoid arthritis.

Also as you are desk based and not cycle commuting at the moment there is a chance your pelvis has a slight tilt which can also cause back pain.Your calf muscles will tighten pulling your pelvis forward and you then over correct with the spine to fix. You need to stretch out the calf muscles rather than strengthening the glutes with targeted physio.

Once you have ruled out the above and ruled out any trauma to the back then it is likely to be muscular weakness and physio can help with that but you may need to wait if you go through the NHS.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what the GP says...I do have the option of BUPA through work health insurance, so that might be the way to go.

Top Bottom