Extra Tyres or Wheels too!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollon

I have a Spech Tricross. The sticky tyres that came with it are a bit slow on the road, so I was thinking of getting some faster ones.
My question is, would it be worth getting a spare set of wheels too and if so what type. I know thats some question, but i dont want to spend a fortune, however I want something decent.
Dave.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

gbs

Guru
sparewheelset? Why not? I assume the original wheels are quite sturdy being designed for cycloX. So a road oriented wheelset with 23mm Gatorskins could transform the on-road performance.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Unless you've got money to burn, why would you want a spare set of wheels?

Wheels don't often go wrong, and you can replace when you need.

Having a spare set of tyres is a good idea for different weather conditions - say summer/winter or road/off road.

Chris James

Über Member
I suppose it depends on how often you want to swap back and forth.

I only have one bike and one set of wheels. Using the turbo over the winter has been a real pain as I kept swapping the back tyre all the time as the turbo would have destroyed my good tyre.

I am still considering getting se cond set of wheels. Its soon adds up though
as you also have to cough up for a new cassette and new tubes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have 2 sets of wheels and tyres.
My heavier tougher pair I ride for the winter with 25c more durable tyres (Krylions), my lighter pair I keep for the summer shod with lightweight fast rolling and grippy PR3's for fast and scary fun.

Light stiff wheels with good tyres are a real joy. Changing a cassete over is an easy 10 min job.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I have a Tricross, too, and found the original tyres were wide and slow - although great on the canal tow-path. Anyway, I invested in a set of Conti Gatorskins (28mm if I remember rightly...though they may have been 25mm) and these have been brilliant. I haven't felt the need to change back to the 32mm originals yet. Luckily, I did have a spare set of wheels on which I put the Contis, so the original wheels / tyres are hanging up and haven't been used since.

So the answer is having a spare wheelset is cool, but probably a needless luxury.

Del

ACS

Legendary Member
Use Bonty Race Light Hardcase (700x28) on my Tricross lost a little bit of comfort when I took off the CX but the increase in speed is well worth it.

jimboalee

If you've got the money to spend, yes.

Having a 'cross' bike means you go on the rough-stuff. You will need the OE wheels and SPUD tyres for that.

For using on the road, a quick wheel swap and you're away.

Oh, FF, I would personally have a 'rough-stuff' cassette and a road cassette, so no need to change it. :biggrin:

If you've got enough spare money, get another complete bike. :biggrin:

I got p1ssed off with washing down brakes, rims, tyres, forks and stays after every commute in the rain, so I bought a bike with discs... superb.

Bill Gates

I'm in the spare set of wheels camp. Heavy tyres on one and lightweight slick tyres on the other each with their own cassettes. Our weather is too fickle to predict and who wants to change a set of tyres just before you go out?

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
I'm in the spare set of wheels camp. Heavy tyres on one and lightweight slick tyres on the other each with their own cassettes. Our weather is too fickle to predict and who wants to change a set of tyres just before you go out?

I'm in the spare bike camp....:biggrin:

Top Bottom