Exustar sandals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
Piemaster said:
Despite the weather being windy and chilly at the moment here (Aberdeen), I'm optimistic that the sun will be here soon so anyone wearing exustar cycling sandals? What do you think or any experience of the shimano sd65.

Oh, and what are SJS like for mail order?
I have no experience with Exustar sandals - but like my Shimano SPD sandals a lot. They are the default cycling footwear for me unless it is below 10 Celsius or so. Have been using them for about 3 years now (incl. some touring last August in UK) - no problems so far.

And I have dealt with SJS multiple times, with 100% success - can highly recommend them (note my location - I had stuff shipped over the pond).

You could also consider a pair of Lake I/Os (there's a review on Road.CC). The Exustars look like they have an easier closure system but the Lakes might hold your foot more securely (think ventilated leisure shoe rather than traditional open sandal).

Oh and SJS are well known and have a good rep.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Arrived yesterday, so good delivery from SJS.
Seem a reasonable fit and plenty of adjustment with the straps. Toebox bit is touching top of my big toe, but don't expect it to be a problem once I've worn them a bit. Comfy enough for a short walk in round the garden to check sizing & fit. They do seem wider than the Shimano MT21's I have already, which I have always thought a bit narrow for my big flappy feet.
Fitted the cleats shortly after had a near-miss clipless moment on the first ride on the bike. They wouldn't release! Partly as the straps were a bit too loose so was not getting enough twist, and partly as I'd fitted new cleats which are MUCH tighter than the old ones on the mtb shoes. This is were have sandals was very handy as a quick pull on the velcro strap and I was out.
The pedals on the bike I was trying them on are quite new and as the tension seemed ok when first fitted have never needed to be adjusted. Just hadn't realised how much it was compensating for the worn cleats.
Just nipped up to the shops in them and I like them, nice breeze around my tootsies.

Top Bottom