Facebook out, Twitter in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I use Facebook rarely now but apparently it is going to be used even less by people because Twitter is becoming more popular. People find it fasinating to read what someone has just done but not be able to comment on it. It will provide a safer way of social networking but it is a shame to see FB go.

Steve H

Large Member
Doubt it will be quick. Facebook has a fairly strong hold at the moment

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Doubt it will be quick. Facebook has a fairly strong hold at the moment

Twitter doesn't have a hold with the kids that I teach. They've more or less ignored it in favour of Facebook. To behonest I don't know what the attraction of Twitter is unless you are more voyeuristic than Facebook users.

PBancroft

I think FB is great for kids, and that seems to be what they're aiming for what with the games and the advertising used. I see more and more adults getting bored of it and social networking in general. I give Facebook another five years unless it radically changes its service. Twitter is a little different, but even then I'm not convinced it will be around for the long haul, despite my signature.

I wonder if this is not a case of horses for courses? I use both, but for very different purposes. Both are good ways of following touring cyclists and their adventures. Both are great and very cheap ways of keeping friends and family up to speed with our cycle travels day by day. Can I image the world without them? Sure. Will they last five years? Well, frankly five years is a lifetime in technology terms: I doubt that any of us can imagine the technologies we will be using then, but for sure unless we see some horrid turning back of the tide, we can be sure that FB mark 5 and Twitter or their currently unimagined replacements will be augmenting our worlds for certain. The future's bright: the future is....presently unimagined.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wonder if this is not a case of horses for courses? I use both, but for very different purposes. Both are good ways of following touring cyclists and their adventures. Both are great and very cheap ways of keeping friends and family up to speed with our cycle travels day by day. Can I image the world without them? Sure. Will they last five years? Well, frankly five years is a lifetime in technology terms: I doubt that any of us can imagine the technologies we will be using then, but for sure unless we see some horrid turning back of the tide, we can be sure that FB mark 5 and Twitter or their currently unimagined replacements will be augmenting our worlds for certain. The future's bright: the future is....presently unimagined.
We'll have a chip implanted in our heads and all our thoughts and actions will be uploaded in real time to a site called, "I'm a self-gratification artist, Get Me Out of Here".

Mozzy

I find Twitter is used extensively for promoting business. I've tried it and tried it but just find it as boring as hell, and a waste of my time. HSS, I do have FB and my Wordpress site linked to Twitter but cannot remember the last time I actually posted anything. Honestly; I find it a complete load of nonsense.

FB on the other hand ... for me at any rate, is a way to stay in touch with my fellow Bonsai enthusiasts. It is nice to upload a images and see what others think. On occasions it is just fun for letting off steam or having a crack with buddies. For me, I like FB just the way it is .... well, maybe a couple of tweaks.
whistling.gif

Mozzy

Danny

Legendary Member
I find Twitter is used extensively for promoting business. I've tried it and tried it but just find it as boring as hell, and a waste of my time.
Funnily enough I have just signed up to Twitter partly because many businesses and organisations we work with are now using it a lot.

However I am still trying to figure out whether it has any real value.

Err, no competion between Facebook and Twitter as they are two very different things, one is not going to replace the other.

Google would like the challenge Facebook with Google+, but Twitter isn't going to replace Facebook.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But with FB I can control (to some extent) who views/photos that I post, whereas Twitter is more a sort of voyeurism of people watching you. Or that is how it feels to me. (Where CC sits in this I'm not sure I guess I'm happier because I hide behind my avatar :whistle: ).

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Facebook is for people with real friends , twitter is for people who would like to have friends.

I tried twitter and added loads of famous people only to find out they are quite boring

Top Bottom