Faith Schools

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by david k, 2 Aug 2019.

1. david k

david k Hi

i was reading some interesting posts on a motorcycle forum a few months ago around Faith Schools

I have my own thoughts and feel that education should be separate from faith, I was surprised how many people strongly believe Schools should be associated with faith and restricted to that religion. The thread was closed down, not because there were any issues, but one of the admin had strong thoughts and didn't want it discussed.

So I guess my questions are

Should they exists or are they outdated
    Do they cause division in society
    Do they artificially inflate numbers
    Should it not be discussed

Accy cyclist likes this.
  2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

In my view, all schools should be non-denominational. Nothing wrong with them including education about faiths as a general topic but accepting pupils based solely on them being adherents to a single religion, and using the school to promote only the teachings of that religion, is wrong.

3. OP
    OP
    david k

david k Hi

Agree, but many don't, why? And I'm not talking about extremists

Accy cyclist likes this.
  4. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo 'Real Life, and Postcard Views, Europe Endless'

My worry is that both of your posts are angling towards or intimating that Muslim faith schools in the UK are wrong. The words 'them' and 'they' are incredibly provocative. 'They' are British nationals as deserving of the DfE funds as anyone else in this country. No wonder these type of posts get canned. They always start with an agenda.

raleighnut likes this.
  5. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

I went to Catholic schools. My secondary school has a facebook page and my year has a messenger group. We left 40 years ago. For me, our faith was an extra bond uniting us and I think it has helped us reunite all those years later. It didn't feel extremist at the time and it doesn't now. I am non-practising; however I still value my Catholic schooling.

mustang1 and david k like this.
  6. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

When I was a child, I played with the boy two doors down from us. When we were four, we went to the same nursery. When we were five we were split up and sent to different schools - I went to the school a few hundred yards from our street, he went... somewhere else. We still played after school but gradually less and less so because he had his schoolfriends and shared experiences and I had different schoolfriends and different shared experiences. Eventually we became just nodding acquaintances.

Just a standard thing for Catholics and Protestants in Scotland I suppose.

C R, Edwardoka, PK99 and 7 others like this.
  7. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

State education should be non-denominational and people should learn about all philosophies and religions (as much as is possible). Religious education should be done through religious organisations outside of the state system.

8. siadwell

siadwell Veteran

No one mentioned Muslims until you did! “They” and “them” in the OP are clearly referring to faith schools (ie things) not people, so you are being more than a bit presumptuous and indeed provocative yourself

Electric_Andy, C R, Skibird and 8 others like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    david k

david k Hi

Not at all, I can only guess you are trolling as I didn't mention Muslim at all, you then go on to address a point I hadn't made, entirely your assumption and incorrect.

The discussion on a forum I read previously was around Catholic schools, but thought it was better to start this conversation by using the term faith rather than Catholic as the questions are probably relevant to all faiths and I think less provocative than isolating a single faith

mustang1, Electric_Andy, C R and 4 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    david k

david k Hi

A well balanced post. This was a common response to these discussions, it seems many have fond memories and it's important to some to have that faith associated with their upbringing and relationships with others.

All of the bonding and unity I value, but the opposite side is those with a different or no faith may feel pushed out.

My thoughts currently are that faith can be available at schools, but not part of its everyday compulsory activity, shouldnt be a faith school but can teach all faiths and have access to faith which is optional

People can be turned away from a school due to their faith, this I find strange, why should it be entwined in education, shouldn't that stand alone?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2019
    C R and alicat like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    david k

david k Hi

That's quite a sad story really, I just struggle to understand it, children are just children.

C R likes this.
  12. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

Looks like it's OK to say Catholics, but not Muslims funny old world ain't it.
    My views for what it is worth :-
    Religion should be taught outside school hours and paid for by the parents if they so wish.

Electric_Andy, C R, Edwardoka and 8 others like this.
  13. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

"They" is an offensive term?
    How about
    It
    Thing
    She
    He
    Duck
    ?
    See next post. Mentions the C word.
    I take "faith" to refer to any faith.
    And it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the issue.
    I am an atheist.
    As far as I am concerned folk can worship donald duck in their back bedrooms as long as they don't try to impose his duckness values on society.
    Am undecided on faith schools.
    I may learn something if there is no prissy closing down of reasonable debate.

Edited to remove repeated donald. Must have been getting carried away/inspired.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2019
    Accy cyclist, Cycleops and david k like this.
  14. winjim

winjim Iron pony

Something I thought had been abolished but apparently was reinforced in legislation as late as 1998, is the requirement for schools to hold a daily collective act of worship, so in that respect all schools are faith schools.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/31/section/70

I do think that faith is by definition incompatible with certain aspects of education and faith schools are by their nature discriminatory, but religious faith is a huge part of some people's lives, culture and identity so I can understand them wanting to send their kids to a school which reinforces that faith. But it does smack of indoctrination to me. How can you teach critical thinking and scientific reasoning at the same time as religion?

perplexed and david k like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    david k

david k Hi

And the more it is debated reasonably the more understanding of all cultures people become, IMO that breaks down barriers and builds trust, closing discussions down or inferring vaguely some type of agenda is very unhelpful and scares people into not discussing at all

Debates can be respectful whilst sharing own thoughts

C R and Blue Hills like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice