Falling off your SPDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Being new to SPDs and clicking in/out/worrying about falling off/disengaging in time/etc etc, I wondered how many people have had bad experiences against those who have never had problems.

A straw poll then to get a picture of peoples' experiences!

I think most folk have had a clipless moment or two ;) but on the whole its not been a bad experience, just embarrassing :thumbsdown:. My moments have happened at slow speed/ stationary and seem to have happened in slow motion :smile:

sadjack

I have had a few! Especially in the beginning. I try to look ashead a bit now and unclip in advance.

My most embarrassing was on a coastal path in high summer a couple of years ago. I was going up a steep bit from a beach area with loads of people about. My indexing was off and the chain went into the spokes.

For a second I was left cycling like crazy but going nowhere and could not get my foot out in time. Over I went ;)

Nothing hurt but my pride and at least all the people looking had a good laugh!

JUst love to bring a little light to other peoples lives :thumbsdown:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I keep ripping my left foot out of my SPD's - right foot OK - tension is being done up, and I need to change that dodgy cleat...doh....

SPD's are great for commuting.

pes

I fell off twice when I first started.
First - hurt my knee and wrist (and pride in front of a girl who laughed at me).
Second - fractured my thumb and had it in plaster for 5 weeks.

Keep at it though because spd's are the mutts nuts.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
HLaB said:
I think most folk have had a clipless moment or two :blush: but on the whole its not been a bad experience, just embarrassing :laugh:. My moments have happened at slow speed/ stationary and seem to have happened in slow motion :rofl:

+1

Rolled over down a grass bank still clipped in which even made me laugh... people in car behind got out to help me despite nearly wetting themselves.

lazyfatgit

I've had look son road bike, spd on tourers and hybrids for years, and being a big dumpling, still fall off ocasionally. Usaully when i've had to stop rapidly for the moton in front who does something stupid. in the early days i did fall at traffic lights when i forgot to twist to unclip.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I once broke my arm in 2 places, and all the ribs on that side by having a clipless moment.

This is, infact, a lie.

I've had a few clipless moments, but nothing bad, just embarrassing. I wouldn't worry too much about them, you will soon get used to them, then wonder why you didn't use them before, then have a clipless moment because you got too cocky too early!
:blush::laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Joe24 said:
I once broke my arm in 2 places, and all the ribs on that side by having a clipless moment.

This is, infact, a lie.

I've had a few clipless moments, but nothing bad, just embarrassing. I wouldn't worry too much about them, you will soon get used to them, then wonder why you didn't use them before, then have a clipless moment because you got too cocky too early!
:blush::laugh:

Quite right there.....

Don't get too cocky with them...... well my Looks are sprint proof, but not so sure with the MTB spd's yet...... on the Fixed road bike.....done the bobbing loony a few times on the fixed recently.... one leg locked in one not....up down up down up down rather quickly..... :laugh:

paddy01

I've never come off or had a moment simply due to clips. I have gotten stuck in them a few times when falling off the MTB though because I have them at max tightness and rounded off the allen in the process :wacko:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
fossyant said:
Quite right there.....

Don't get too cocky with them...... well my Looks are sprint proof, but not so sure with the MTB spd's yet...... on the Fixed road bike.....done the bobbing loony a few times on the fixed recently.... one leg locked in one not....up down up down up down rather quickly..... :biggrin:

I unclipped out of SPD in the winter, in a sprint. Left foot ended up on the floor, and i slid along the floor. Outsprinting a car, that had overtaken me for a pointless reason.
Was never too confident with sprinting in them again, i do have worn cleats though. I went spinning and used them, had them unclip when on max resistance sometimes.

Top Bottom