Family Cycling tour in Germany Anyone done it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

I quite like to torture my family ... into activity type holidays and my latest thought is a cycling tour Germany sprung to mind as I have heard from a number of sources it is extremely bike friendly.

My idea would not be to cycle every day but and spend a few days in camp sites etc every 2-3 days. I have 3 kids 11 14 and 17

Has anyone had experience of this type of thing in Germany (Or maybe France/ Holland) and can offer advice or just whether it was a good family holiday or not!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If you're going with the family and want to avoid hills, try the North Sea Cycle Route. Good scenery, loads of camp sites, very friendly locals, interesting towns and cities. And the route is signposted in both directions. We cycled it last summer and have been back twice since (ohne Fahrrad) to do things we didn't have the time to do the first time.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Thanks Alan I'll check this out Sounds Ideal and also easy to get to from the UK
(Although I can my 17 year old now.. NORTH SEA cycle route! Does NOT sound warm..)

snorri

Legendary Member
Wot Alan H says.:biggrin:
The NSCR should keep the youngsters interested, fairly short distances between towns and villages. A variety of things to see, canals, exhibition describing coastal defences at Neeltje Jans, harbours, sandy beaches, agricultural land and wildlife to be seen. A ferry trip, no tiresome hills and no sharing with heavy motor traffic
Have I sold it to you yet?:laugh:

PS Re your 17y/o, tell him/her there is a nudist beach or two on the route somewhere.:thumbsup:

willem

Über Member
It sounds like some people here are underestimating children of that age. 14 and 17 year olds should be more than a match for most parents, and they thrive on hills. About a year ago my then almost 11 year old son announced that I owed him a cycling holiday (he was right), and that it should be a hilly one. He chose the Ardennes. We rode from Aachen to Luxemburg in just over a week, riding two out of three days, and doing some 60 kilometres a day. Sometimes I would beat him on the many steep hills, but sometimes he beat me. Admittedly, I was carrying most of the camping luggage. The trick with children of such different ages is to redistribute the luggage to level out their performance.
The biggest concern is safety, and I would suggest to use one of the route guides that take you away from busy roads.
Willem

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

snorri said:
Wot Alan H says.;)

Have I sold it to you yet?:biggrin:

PS Re your 17y/o, tell him/her there is a nudist beach or two on the route somewhere.:blush:

Maybe not SOLD as yet but getting there !:smile:
17y/o is a she Nudist beach may not be an attraction but a beach will be I won't tell her its the North Sea till we get home;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Germany's a great place to cycle...great cycle routes on quiet lanes and beautiful countryside. Think about Bavaria, it's lovely, although a bit hilly. The Bodensee cycle route could be fun though.

chris__P

willem said:
The biggest concern is safety, and I would suggest to use one of the route guides that take you away from busy roads.
Willem

Most main roads in that part of the world have cycle paths alongside them, so its not too much of a concern. Still maybe not the nicest cycling, but not as dangerous as UK main roads

Tony

The North Sea route can get very windy.There are alternative tricks, though, such as the Ems-Jade and Kiel canal towpaths.
The Isar Radweg from Munich to the Danube is nice and easy, as is the Danube path itself.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The route in Germany which consistently gets voted as the most family friendly is the River Weser route from Hannoverische Munden to Cuxhaven on the N Sea. It would meet all your requirements. The Bikeline guidebook (Weser Radweg) is the only mapping you need.

An alternative is the River Main route from the area of Lichtenfels to the Rhine at Mainz and then down the Rhine to Holland. If you need any further details, I'd be happy to provide.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Andy in Sig said:
The route in Germany which consistently gets voted as the most family friendly is the River Weser route from Hannoverische Munden to Cuxhaven on the N Sea. It would meet all your requirements. The Bikeline guidebook (Weser Radweg) is the only mapping you need.

An alternative is the River Main route from the area of Lichtenfels to the Rhine at Mainz and then down the Rhine to Holland. If you need any further details, I'd be happy to provide.

Andy Thanks!:rofl: Do you know if there are camp sites which may provide activities the kids would enjoy along either of these routes? Most of the routes i have looked into so far seem to be good for B&B hotels but not so much campsites
This is for year 2011 .. I am starting to look and think too early as I want to go NOW !

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Andy in Sig said:

Andy I have come across the The Romantische Strasse which sounds good and may appeal to the wife due to the name How does this compare to the River Weser route My kids are reasonably healthy!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
007fair said:
Andy I have come across the The Romantische Strasse which sounds good and may appeal to the wife due to the name How does this compare to the River Weser route My kids are reasonably healthy!

I can heartily recommend it. It was one of the nicest rides I've done - not hilly, wonderful, interesting little towns and plenty of campsites too. A lot of the route is on great cycle paths.

Top Bottom