FAO London riders, Islington, Essex Rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooner Mad Dog

Guys & gals last night the police were waiting to ambush cyclists on Essex Rd at traffic lights. It was past half way down where the bus lane converges with normal traffic then there is traffic joining from another junction also creating a mess of tires, horns and exhaust fumes. I opted to cirumnavigate the vehicles snorting at each other fortunately a girl cyclist informed that 4 - 6 police/community police were waiting for that exact reaction. Cyclists frustrated by the danger no room to even crawl up the inside of 2/3 buses will pop onto the pavement to be in a safer place at the marked cyclist area immediately in front of lights!
They were talking/nicking 2 cyclists as I rode by wiser for my experience, just want others to be aware that's all. I would nt really mind but there is no crime at all in north London, oh well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Easy answer.

Don't ride on the pavement. It's for pedestrians, or does mummy not let you ride on the road? :tongue:

toontra

Veteran
Thanks for the tip GMD. That is one of the very few places in London where I'm tempted to go on the pavement for a few yards. I'll resist the temptation from now on!

EthelF

Rain God
Well if it's that congested one can always dismount and pass the snarl-up on the pavement on foot. I presume the OP meant that the traffic was at a standstill?
The only relevant warning I could discern in his post was against squeezing up the insides of buses, sound advice indeed. :-)

botchjob

Veteran
If it’s the main junction with New North Rd/Cannonbury Rd,going out of town, there’s no room to filter on the right as the road narrows and there are railings. So there are always some twonks who hop on the pavement by the florist stall to get to the head of the lights. They make up all of 30 feet to get ahead of the traffic, which then passes them on the long stretch of Essex Rd that follows. The worst of them proceed to RLJ the whole junction, which is a really busy one. I’ve seen some close near misses there. Hope they all got fines!

Top Bottom