FAO Woking/Byfleet/Knaphill area cyclists (Urgent)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_dombat

As you might be aware, there is a consultation regarding the "town centre shared space". The shared space has been in force for nearly two years without incident, but there's a real possibility of it being revoked.

I urge you, as a sensible law abiding cyclist to make yourself heard by reading the webpage and then filling in the online form. It only takes a few minutes but the outcome will have ramifications for years to come.

http://www.cyclewoki...A.00004300.0013

If you know of any cyclists in and around the Woking area, please send them a link.

Also:
The Woking News and Mail are keen to do a photo on Sat 20th November 2010 at 10am outside the council offices (by the theatre entrance) to give the cyclist perspective on recent articles against shared used in the town centre. We urgently need a good turn out of older cyclists, women, children and anybody that doesn't look like they would run over a defenceless blind or old person.

Turn up and defend your reputation as a polite and considerate cyclist. Stand up for older, younger and less confident cyclists. Bring your friends, neighbours, anybody who cycles or would like to cycle.

This is not just about the Town Centre. Do you expect a blind person to get out of your way? Do you cycle through town at 20 mph? This is what Councillors are being told. These allegations will affect any future investment in cycling infrastructure in Woking and waste money that could be spent saving lives and reducing real injuries.

If you cant make the photo then please still fill in the consultation (obviously only local residents are able to participate!)
http://www.cyclewoki...A.00004300.0013

thomas

the tank engine
I've filled it in. I fully support having a shared area...but also ticked support to the segregated area (better than nothing, but not a good option).

I'm in Norwich so won't be down to support it. What annoys me is, anyone who would cycle through their stupidly would do so whether it is legal to or not...in the a cycle section or not. Clubs aren't going to be running pelatons through the centre.

Though, if you watch the local paper website there are a lot of people who are negative to cycling...and fuss about spending money on the tour series and things like that. They seem to fuss about spending any money (but then also fuss when the council don't spend money - go figure!!)

vikingcyclist

Passed it on to my parents who live in the area, both keen cyclists along with my sister and her family.

One of the ironies I liked about the protests was the suggestion that cyclists were a danger to mobility scooters - so given that these tend to hit people more than bikes, surely they should be segregated off somewhere first and foremost?

thomas

the tank engine
Passed it on to my parents who live in the area, both keen cyclists along with my sister and her family.

One of the ironies I liked about the protests was the suggestion that cyclists were a danger to mobility scooters - so given that these tend to hit people more than bikes, surely they should be segregated off somewhere first and foremost?

haha. :biggrin:

Top Bottom