Farage launches Brexit Party

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by SpokeyDokey, 12 Apr 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

FPTP does contribute to disenfranchisement, but it's only half the story. The party machines are terrible.

Short of systems like STV, open primaries are what is needed. That usually gets people very hot under the collar, especially in light of recent things like Dominic Grieve, but the truth is a lot of MPs hang around way too long and sometimes the local politics of deselection becomes very toxic.

Farage is a very seasoned tv performer who's whacked in appearances for 15+ years.

I'll put my point I was trying to make earlier another way, if the word immigrant and immigrants and all variants of it were banned from the language. What would people say instead?

Unkraut likes this.
  2. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

"them"
    "they"
    "Tottenham fans"

Andy in Germany likes this.
  3. marinyork

People would talk about all sorts of things. Identity. Housing. Transport. Food. Jobs. Education. Health.

4. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

And then they would relate them to how many people were born in a country and how many had moved here, either saying it benefited those issues or caused problems. Plus ça change.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  5. marinyork

It would be a part of a conversation. A smaller part than you are making out.

Honestly, people need to talk to people.

theclaud likes this.
  6. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

They always have needed that. But somehow lack of talking to each other and, just as importantly, lack of listening, has always gone on and caused many of the world's problems.

I am not disagreeing with your ideas, or pouring any scorn on them, but saying something should happen doesn't make it so.

I mentioned John Lennon's 'Imagine' in another thread. Great principles, but concentrating on humankind's good side does not eliminate its bad side.

7. marinyork

No Scorn taken. Lack of talking and lack of listening have gone on, however we live in a very connected world now. There's less of an excuse really, but in other ways infinitely more excuses not to talk to anyone.

I say the talking to people bit, as I think it's at the heart of the matter. For me brexit didn't happen because David Cameron decided to have a referendum, it happened over decades of communities, individuals all becoming farther and farther apart. People have completely parallel lives.

I have pondered this idea even more, recently. I have gone back to university. One day in pharmacy/retail job, the next in a university. City centre/Campus life in 2019, the whole thing that goes around it, not so much the students. the staff, the whole ethos, it really is it's own universe. The SU building, the endless eateries and coffee shops, the places you can study if you don't want anything to do with anyone else. Busy packed streets of people all walking in parallel on the way to uni, few conversations. It's not the students. Staff too. You do your stint and then disappear off home. Some to family life. Others work late. Others go home and are unhappy and think how lonely can a place be that has so many people. Someone in one of my offices also moved back to the UK after a number of years abroad and they were surprised how it was, so I don't think it's just me.

I did like the Harris piece on Beaconsfield etc recently (video in the Guardian). The people going on about coffee shops and how they weren't happy with the town centres, I found that interesting the - doing well, but not that well and in anycase we're not happy, type view. Less money here, but I'm very aware that our town centre is very much better off than neighbouring ones, yet all is not well, it's artificial and closures around the corner.

C R and Rusty Nails like this.
  8. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

9. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

So what does that say about the rest, the “delusionals”, who believe their vote means anything.

10. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

It is good that opponents are trying to sink as low as possible though.

11. stowie

stowie Guru

From the midst of the downtrodden, a leader is found.

Toshiba Boy, C R and brodiej like this.
  12. brodiej

brodiej Über Member

She’s a woman of the people alright.

I love this
    “I joined the Conservative party in 1984 and this is not a decision I have made lightly – to leave a party for which I have fought at every election since 1987, from Maggie Thatcher through to Theresa May. I know which one I’d rather have representing us now.”

In 1984 she was 5 years old. In 1987 when she “fought” for Maggie she was 8
    Brexiteers, of course, argue that 17 year olds are too young and easily led to vote

13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

I was about 10 or 11 when I met my local Conservative MP at a constituency function.

The tiny amount of campaigning I did for him then is more than I've ever done since.

As I left a crown court a month or so ago, Jeremy Corbyn was doing interviews outside.

I put my head down and kept going.

14. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Cool story bro.

15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Glad you like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice