Faro airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Okay, another one of my longshots. I'm certain it will be fine but has anyone cycled out of the airport?

jay clock

Massive member
YES. Out once and in on another occasion. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/malagatofaro and http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=3379&v=2G - no real problems. On the first link I was coming in from the north and it was sand tracks etc but I made it. I can strongly recommend time by the beach if you have it. The main road out is dual carriageway but with a hard shoulder and fine to cycle along see here for route into Faro. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/988257

What are your plans?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks JC, that's good to know. I'll have a gander at your cgoab's later.

The flight to Faro is booked, as is the ferry back from Santander to Portsmouth 18 days later. The in-between bits are in the lap of the gods.

jay clock

Massive member
If you look at both my ones from that area you will get an idea. I have looked at some of yours and you seem to have much the same approach as me

Spain is hilly!

When you going?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Jay, I remember reading your NZ blog and the short one when you teamed up with a Spaniard. I may even try some wild camping if necessary which I recall you did. Last year I did the Romantische Strasse in Germany with less than ideal weather so I wanted warm this year. The end of June to mid July may prove to be hot!

jay clock

Massive member
Dutchman, but yes in Spain. Give the stealth camping a go. I really loved it. I spent a total of €43 for 5 nights accomodation... I do not aim to do things on the cheap, but got a kick out of that.

It will be hot I am sure, but once you get north, could be much cooler, or even wet

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dutchman, but yes in Spain. Give the stealth camping a go. I really loved it. I spent a total of €43 for 5 nights accomodation... I do not aim to do things on the cheap, but got a kick out of that.

It will be hot I am sure, but once you get north, could be much cooler, or even wet
I've now read your crazyguys Jay and they certainly give me a feel for the region. I may have no option but to stealth camp on the first night given that the nearest campsite is a days ride away from Faro and we'll be starting late that day.
The southern part of Alenteijo seems very unpopulated with mostly villages of 1000 or so souls. I don't suppose you can recall noticing if there were B&B style accommodation at all despite their small size. Nothing shows as a camp or a hotel until Mertola. I noted that you did a stop at Vila Real but I'm assuming that was to make a nicer loop.

jay clock

Massive member
I've now read your crazyguys Jay and they certainly give me a feel for the region. I may have no option but to stealth camp on the first night given that the nearest campsite is a days ride away from Faro and we'll be starting late that day.
The southern part of Alenteijo seems very unpopulated with mostly villages of 1000 or so souls. I don't suppose you can recall noticing if there were B&B style accommodation at all despite their small size. Nothing shows as a camp or a hotel until Mertola. I noted that you did a stop at Vila Real but I'm assuming that was to make a nicer loop.
yes, we went to VillaReal to make the loop. I will have a look at where I went and see about stealth camping. What time of day do you arrive and what time of year (to look up sunset)

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The in-between bits are in the lap of the gods.
The image didn't work for me deb!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yes, we went to VillaReal to make the loop. I will have a look at where I went and see about stealth camping. What time of day do you arrive and what time of year (to look up sunset)

We'll get away from the airport late morning and head towards Mertola. It's about 65 miles which will be pushing it but anywhere north as the route is flexible.
Don't worry too much though Jay; something will turn up and it's all part of the adventure^_^

jags

Guru
rich enjoy the tour will your good lady be going .how is that villiers bike preforming these days.
i'm still dreaming of getting one some day.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rich enjoy the tour will your good lady be going .how is that villiers bike preforming these days.
i'm still dreaming of getting one some day.:rolleyes:
It's still going well, thanks, Jags. Yes indeed, Mrs rp will be going - it's the cycling highlight of her year!!
Here's a little reminder of the Villiers velo!
tourdessex115.jpg

Top Bottom