Fastest Pace Commute Yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm getting little purple spots in my eyes and think I might pass out!

I work slightly flexible hours - must do 7.5 hours each day and must be at work between 10am and 5pm, so today decide to have a bit of a lie in and get in for 9:30am. Recently I've been riding from Nottingham to Beeston (about 4 miles) then taking train from Beeston to Derby, then about 5 miles to work from there.

Arrive at Beeston at 8:35 to get the 8:42. Wait. About 8 fortysomething an announcement is made saying the train has been cancelled and after some faffing about it emerges my best option is to get the train back to Nottingham, then I MIGHT catch the 9:12 to Swansea that will get me to derby at 9:40 which I MIGHT be able to get to work by ten for.

Sod that.

20 miles from Beeston to work. One hour to go. Can I average 20mph over 20 miles with busy traffic, country lanes, gravel track, lots of junctions, people walking dogs on towpaths? All this in 25 degree heat?

Clocked in at 9:58 :smile:

(however, I now have to stay at work until 6:30pm. Bah!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow!

VamP

Banned
That must have been seriously pleasing! Well done.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I'm getting little purple spots in my eyes and think I might pass out!

I work slightly flexible hours - must do 7.5 hours each day and must be at work between 10am and 5pm, so today decide to have a bit of a lie in and get in for 9:30am. Recently I've been riding from Nottingham to Beeston (about 4 miles) then taking train from Beeston to Derby, then about 5 miles to work from there.

Arrive at Beeston at 8:35 to get the 8:42. Wait. About 8 fortysomething an announcement is made saying the train has been cancelled and after some faffing about it emerges my best option is to get the train back to Nottingham, then I MIGHT catch the 9:12 to Swansea that will get me to derby at 9:40 which I MIGHT be able to get to work by ten for.

Sod that.

20 miles from Beeston to work. One hour to go. Can I average 20mph over 20 miles with busy traffic, country lanes, gravel track, lots of junctions, people walking dogs on towpaths? All this in 25 degree heat?

Clocked in at 9:58 :smile:

(however, I now have to stay at work until 6:30pm. Bah!)

Only 25, it was 32 in London at lunchtime!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Trains were still out of action on my way home so had to do it again! Didn't nearly average 20mph though ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Trains were still out of action on my way home so had to do it again! Didn't nearly average 20mph thou.

What you should have done was got on the Swansea train got off at swansea and joined Angelfishsolo and me for a day in the hills. (No 20 mph averages though just a few 20 % hills (plus):biggrin:

Seriously though that was a great effort on less than ideal roads.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom