Fat makes you fat? Or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Interestingly, looking at your pie charts, a significant increase is the Carbs as in flour and cereal products, seems to link with the rise in obesity and the introduction of low fat foods, funny that.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the 25% increase in calories, then?

Also in regards to calories in and calories out , since the 70's running and cycling etc have increased dramatically as well as obesity, why hasn't that reduced with the increase of people taking up more exercise, funny that.

Every study there is shows that we are exercising significantly less than we were in the 70s, and we are living and working in warmer buildings.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It wouldn't have anything to do with the 25% increase in calories, then?

Every study there is shows that we are exercising significantly less than we were in the 70s, and we are living and working in warmer buildings.

Please support your point.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Are you sure of that?
Look at the figures again. They don't support the link that you propose.

The fraction of total calories from flour and cereal products fell between 1990 and 2010. The only sector that grows, as a percentage of the whole, in both time periods is fat. I'm not drawing any conclusion from that. Just saying that the correlation you have noted does not exist.
Flour and cereal products 430 (1970) Flour and cereal products 610 (2010) not making any assumptions though.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
So I trust the up to date science here as to the outdated science quoted by many on this thread.

http://doctoraseem.com/cardiologist-says-sugar-and-carbs-are-the-main-cause-of-rising-obesity-rates/

EMMA ALBERICI: Are you suggesting that exercise can play no role at all in fighting obesity?

ASEEM MALHOTRA: Well, I think the most important message from this is: is exercise has many health benefits – no one could deny that – in reducing the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, even many cancers.

But it’s quite clear from the evidence: when it comes to weight loss, the impact of exercise is really quite minimal. And therefore, when it comes to obesity, it’s quite clear that the obesity epidemic has been driven by the type and the amount of calories we’re consuming.

And I think we have to actually go a bit beyond the conventional wisdom about, you know, energy balance, calories in versus calories out and actually concentrate on the quality of those calories

MikeG

Guru
Flour and cereal products 430 (1970) Flour and cereal products 610 (2010) not making any assumptions though.

Calories (1970) 2077
Calories (2010) 2590

That's a 25% increase.

Please explain how a 25% increase in the total energy value of food consumed doesn't have any influence on weight, which is your theory if I'm following you correctly.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
So please quote some science. Not an interview with one scientist.
So you disagree with the cardiologist?

MikeG

Guru
Did I say that? I said quote some science. You'll note that cardiologists aren't scientists, and interviews aren't science.

MikeG

Guru
And you won't forget to explain how a 25% increase in calorie consumption hasn't had an effect on weight, will you.

presta

Guru
chasing the next magic potion or excuse is just pointless imho.
This is it, all the haggling over fat vs carbs is just high-tech denial, no different in essence to all those who claim to put on weight even though they eat "nothing at all".
[QUOTE 5025195, member: 9609"]I have heard of people who say if they have an extra portion of chips it arrives the next week as unwanted blubber.[/QUOTE]
What people say and what they do are two different things. As I said above, the Secret Eaters program reveals all, one episode in particular sticks in my mind. A woman (postwoman IIRC, so plenty of exercise there) who claimed that she was eating just one meal a day of salad, so the private eye followed her with a camera, and at about 10 o'clock in the morning she went into the village shop, came out with an armful of pork pies and cream cakes, then sat on the bench outside and scoffed the lot. The look on her face when they showed her the video was priceless.
I'm also kind of interested to see that alcohol isn't listed as a separate source on those pie charts. Is it hidden away in one of the categories?
Those pie charts are very muddled, they can't make up their mind whether they're listing the foodstuffs or the macronutrients.

[anecdata]
In 2008 my fat intake was 35.8% of total calories and my weight was 85.4kg, in 2010 my diet was 24.2% fat, and my weight was 69.5kg.
[/anecdata]

Top Bottom