Fat tyres on 700mm Hybid rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I have A Surly LHT and have just returned from a 1500 mile trip to Rome.

I had an issue running my usual hybrid road tyres 700 / 35 as some of the surfaces I rode were more suited mountain bikes.

Having suffered hand issues on the trip I decided to make the ride a bit more comfortable by adding fatter tyres rather then change bikes.

So I ordered the fattest tyre I could that the specs for the bike would allow 47mm (ok that’s two mm over but they don’t do 45mm tyres at least not that I could find)

They are nice and big but not mountain bike big. There seems to be room for fatter tyres easy 50mm maybe a bit more.

Has anyone tried bigger tyres on a Surly?

What about 29er tyres would they fit my Rims? And is it safe to do so?

Oh the main reason I want to do this is comfort, speed is not a issue when touring for me, Having handlebar palsy on the other hand (well both) is.

Sparkyman

Sparky,

You're existing Interior Rim width will be a limiting factor, IIRC a narrow rim and a wide tyre will lead to premature failure of the rim. Sheldon Brown does quite a good piece on it the table at the bottom of his page http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html simply sums it up, good luck.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
As HLaB says it depends on the Interior Rim width. 700c refers to the diameter of the rim, 29' is effectively same diameter only using a imperial measurement.

RedBike

You mean like this..
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/surly-crosscheck-opinions
14082009081.jpg

29er tyres should fit comfortably on most touring rims. I've had 29er tyres fitted to open-pro rims. Although I never experianced any problem I would exercise extreme caution as you are miles beyond the recommended tyre width.

btw. Watch those tyre widths. Just because a tyre says its say 1.8 doesn't mean it will be the same width as a 45mm tyre.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
The 47mm Tyres are noticibly more comfortable on the road, 50mm would only be a small increase and probably not worth the cost of the tyres when i dont need new ones yet but when i do i may try 60mm as there is definatly rrom for them.

Maybe I should find some one witha 29er and try his wheels on my bike.

Sparkyman

RedBike

60mm (aka 2.4") tyres will fit?, are you sure?
I don't think I could get a 2.4's to fit onto my 29er MTB.

My MTB (Kona 2-9) was fully rigid and it used to be raced (off-road obviously) with 2.0 29er tyres on.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
What determines the pneumatic performance of a tyre for your purpose is not so much its width but its volume, its side wall flexibility, and the air pressure. It seems to me if it fits your frame and fork then Schwalbe's Big Apple is ideal for your objectives. You can google and see there are numerous user reviews. They do come in 700c sizes.

Since they are designed to run at lowish pressure their stress on the rims may well be less than skinny racing tyres running at 120psi+.

You might also want to look into Ergon grips if you have problems with your wrists like I did. They are great.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
60mm (aka 2.4") tyres will fit?, are you sure?
I don't think I could get a 2.4's to fit onto my 29er MTB.

My MTB (Kona 2-9) was fully rigid and it used to be raced (off-road obviously) with 2.0 29er tyres on.

I have 47mm on at the moment and there seems to be space, there is about 12mm of clearence each side at the moment but i do realise i am pushing it well beyond the recomended widths for tyres.

Is there a down side handling wise running biiger tyres then recomended?

Sparkyman

ChrisKH

Guru
What determines the pneumatic performance of a tyre for your purpose is not so much its width but its volume, its side wall flexibility, and the air pressure. It seems to me if it fits your frame and fork then Schwalbe's Big Apple is ideal for your objectives. You can google and see there are numerous user reviews. They do come in 700c sizes.

Since they are designed to run at lowish pressure their stress on the rims may well be less than skinny racing tyres running at 120psi+.

You might also want to look into Ergon grips if you have problems with your wrists like I did. They are great.

+1. Especially those with the built in bar ends. I have them on my flat bar commuter. They're fab.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic

I am using Butterfly bars for thier multi posistioning, but found that my hands seem to like bing near the brakes when in traffic so did not move them as much as i should have.

Thiugh the issues I have at the moment are more likley down to having too much stretch as i set the bike up to feel similar to my road bikes (stupid i know) I moved to a more upwright position once i realised there was an issue (though at first i thought it was from being knocked off and landing on my hands as i shredded my gloves and had some bruicing come up)

Sparkyman

Top Bottom