Fatal Accident: appeal for witnesses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
'The driver of the van was uninjured.'

you don't say

peanut

so what was it a van? or a lorry ?

This escalation in cycle/lorry related deaths is very worrying. It might be as a result of new cyclists having little cycling experience and/or poor road sense.

It might be useful to record that data in cycling fatalities in case it is directly related rather than the cause being unsafe driving

OP
OP
H

handsome joe

peanut said:
so what was it a van? or a lorry ?

This escalation in cycle/lorry related deaths is very worrying. It might be as a result of new cyclists having little cycling experience and/or poor road sense.

It might be useful to record that data in cycling fatalities in case it is directly related rather than the cause being unsafe driving

Does it matter if it's a van or lorry? So your point is that she may of died due to poor road sense or little experience. And how are we supposed to find out if she has poor road sense or little cycling experience?...........again the poor woman is dead.

By the way how did you start cycling then on the roads? I am sure you didn't have great road sense at first. How much cycle training does someone need to be on the road? That means someone just starting to cycle is taking a risk?

handsome joe said:
Does it matter if it's a van or lorry? So your point is that she may of died due to poor road sense or little experience. And how are we supposed to find out if she has poor road sense or little cycling experience?...........again the poor woman is dead.

By the way how did you start cycling then on the roads? I am sure you didn't have great road sense at first. How much cycle training does someone need to be on the road? That means someone just starting to cycle is taking a risk?

Again? ;) Poor woman indeed.

peanut

handsome joe said:

wind ya neck in mate .I was just observing how inaccurate the jounalistic reporting accuracy was fcs:biggrin:

If we don't investigate the full facts of why the accident happened how are we supposed to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Use a bit of commensense and read posts properly before you kick off.

Kids eh tsk tsk don't we have a lower age limit on here ?:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

peanut

thats a good link Paul thanks. Worrying the number of female cyclists in collision with lorries. Its not as though they are really young or inexperienced either.

The only common denominators are that they are female ,a lorry was involved and most seem to have happened on a curve or roundabout where lorries need to cross or take up more than one lane in order to negotiate the bend.

Looks to me all like the cyclists were unable to anticipate the manoever the lorries were required to make and the resultant path of the lorry.

Very sad. :smile:

All the more reason to get this safety video made.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
peanut said:
Looks to me all like the cyclists were unable to anticipate the manoever the lorries were required to make and the resultant path of the lorry.

Do you know this to be the case? According to what I've read,the majority of these cases involve ill-judged overtakes by the drivers.

Origamist

Legendary Member
As family members of the deceased or the driver might read this thread, CycleChat Crime Scene Investigator types would be better advised to stop the pointless and potentially hurtful speculation.

bryce

I hope the publicity arising from this kind of tragedy helps to inform cyclists about dangers of overtaking or undertaking large vehicles. If people here want to disseminate what happened in an effort to raise awarness amongst eachother then I think a discussion is worth it.

I saw two female cyclists going up the inside of a double decker bus turning left today. It was only the awareness of the driver (he could have been easily distracted) that saved them from being crushed. For what seemed to me to be a massive red warning signal, seemed to them to be perfectly safe. I really don't understand why.

The London Cycling Campaign are promoting safety awareness for female cyclists. Bravo to them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Of course both situations happen - ill-judged undertakes by the cyclists, and dangerous and stupid overtakes and turns by HGV drivers. It's well to be aware of both scenarios. I really *hate* it when people automatically and wrongly assume the cyclist is to blame.

peanut

yes thank you for the reminder Mag ,I was so intent on commenting on the incident that i forgot to offer my condolances to Chrystelles family and friends. Such a dreadful and avoidable waste of life.

I wonder how many more cyclists will be injured or killed before someone does something constructive .

BentMikey said:
Of course both situations happen - ill-judged undertakes by the cyclists, and dangerous and stupid overtakes and turns by HGV drivers. It's well to be aware of both scenarios. I really *hate* it when people automatically and wrongly assume the cyclist is to blame.

Yes, it is. I'm afraid I don't like it when it's automatically assumed to be the driver's fault. I've had far more incidents involving a cyclist riding up the inside of my lorry (even when I'm indicating left and about to move off, shockingly) than I have lorry drivers left hooking me on my bike.

Top Bottom