Favourite cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Primula squeezy tubey with chives avec Heinz sandwich spread with tescos bread and clover spread. That is the high life !!

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Cathryn said:
Damn you all. I've had to go and eat some ryebread and cheese now and that's ruined my efforts to look thin on next week's photoshoot with my new bike!!!

Can't we judge how thin, or otherwise, you look? ;)
Attach a photo for our approval. :ohmy:

I'm just roasting some veggies - parsnips, carrots, aubergines, zucchini, spuds, shallots, mange touts, celery - to be accompanied by an ice-cold Polish beer (Tyskie), Danish cheese -

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/shoppe.aspx?cat=1&subcat=Denmark

and biscuits, cognac and coffee. Yum! :ohmy:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Stilton, Gorgonzola, Cambozola, Danish Blue, cheddar etc etc - basically any cheese will do me.

My all-time favourite is the French cheese, Boursault. Never seen it for sale in the UK, sadly. Probably because of its sheer whiffiness - the smell gets through sealed Tupperware tubs.

I once made the mistake of seeing some for sale in the airport in Stockholm, so I got all excited and bought two, wrapped them in a few poly bags and popped them in my rucksack. Well, didn't the security woman want to look inside my rucksack after some lead crystal 'snowball' tealight holders showed up as black lumps on the xray machine ? The minute she opened the bag, she got a huge whiff and shot back in her seat, cursing and demanding to know what was in there. How we all laughed when they found it was cheese :ohmy:

Worse was to come on the plane as I tried to squeeze the rucksack in to the overhead locker, thus forcing the Boursault-ripe air out into the cabin and making everyone think that someone had sh*t themselves. ;)

Still, glad I got it back to Leith in the end. It smells totally foul but it tastes absolutely divine.

Arch

Married to Night Train
When they were courting, my Mum and Dad went to London for a day and bought some really good strong stilton in Fortnums or somewhere of that ilk. When they explained that they had to take it home on the train, the assistant wrapped the piece immaculately in layers of greaseproof and brown paper, tied whole parcel up with string and handed it over ceremonially with the words "There you are Sir, Madam, I believe I have rendered it innocuous..."

That's quality...

Melvil

ivancarlos said:
They wouldn't have noticed any difference in Leith? Especially if there was some Hibees around :spit:

Ohhh dear, hibbie and jambo clash alert! Would be due to the game the other day would it? ;)

goo_mason

ivancarlos;35591][quote name= said:
ivancarlos'' said:
They wouldn't have noticed any difference in Leith? Especially if there was some Hibees around :spit:

Ohhh dear, hibbie and jambo clash alert! Would be due to the game the other day would it? :ohmy:

;):angry:[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of football, so Jambo / Hibee banter is quite safe around me, given that I have no allegiances to any team :ohmy:

I can see a corner of Easter Road stadium from my window, and often hear the roar of the crowd if the wind's blowing the right way. Mind you, my view of Edinburgh Castle's better - great for watching the Festival and new year fireworks from the comfort of my own front room !

goo_mason

ivancarlos said:

They certainly wouldn't notice along Seafield with the sewage treatment works' stench. How anyone can sit outside that McDonalds opposite it and eat with that eye-watering smell of human waste is beyond me.... but then again, I eat a cheese that is similarly pungent ;)

Chris James

Über Member
The oldest English cheese is Cheshire. Evereything else is a pale imitation.

Having said that ... my favourite is Lancashire - specifically Mrs Kirkham's tasty Toaster. Both these cCheshire and Lancashire are dire in supermarkets and are just creamy and tasteless. Lord knows which mega factories the supermaket buyers source this dross from. You need to buy them from a porper cheese monger, preferably local. Cheshire cheese should taste salty refelcting the salt deposits under the county and Mrs Kirkham's draws the mouth as it has a really strong after taste.

Top Bottom