Feel a bit **** now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Went out on the Jake this morning, havent really had a proper ride since before christmas because from Christmas Eve onwards for a whole week I had some kind of bug that gave me a god awful chest infection.

At the moment I've managed 2-3 rides in and out of work a week. Ice had put me off a few times and I took the bus instead. Yesterday morning I got up and thought, even though it was early, about 7am, I'd have a look out the window and see if a ride was worth it. Frosty had obviously made some kind of twisted love to all the cars and tarmac in the area, so I went back to bed.

This morning, woke up, instantly felt warmer and went to the window. No ice! It was later, 8am, but perfect conditions. Low wind, no frost, no traffic (or it could have been the fact they closed my road, LOL)!

Went out, did about 4 miles and started to feel sick. I hadnt had breakie. Pushed on for another 2 and decided, sod this, I'm too hungry. Oh and coming through Netly on one of the little lanes around there, 40 limit I think, someone tried to make a point with their car at about 70mph. Clever boy! Every other driver had the good sense to give me LOADs of room! All 30 odd of them.

I finally get home 2 miles later coughing and spluttering. Gas on the inhaler. Felt a bit sick. I wonder if the fact I really pushed it on the first 2 miles that did it, or that I have knocked some old flem from me gullet thats been laying dormant since Christmas?

Argh!

BTW, saw a 30ish fella in a HTC jersey out in Hedge End near Southampton yesterday. Was it one of you guys, yellow bike? I'm sure I remember one of you describing your kit like that. I was a passenger in an SUV at the time.:smile:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Netley? Not far from me indeed! I might offer to join you for a wheeze and a cough some time. I haven't been out on the bike for a proper ride since before christmas - I visited my mum today and coming back up the hill from her place I nearly died ...

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Netley? Not far from me indeed! I might offer to join you for a wheeze and a cough some time. I haven't been out on the bike for a proper ride since before christmas - I visited my mum today and coming back up the hill from her place I nearly died ...

I love Netley. Nice and quiet in the morning and the hill up to the Abbey is a great workout. In the summer my average speed on that hill was 15mph, so you can see I'm a little disappointed with my fitness and how its lapsed. :biggrin:

Did my 1st 40 since November today and boy did I feel it. It was slow going and mostly flat so the few pimples felt like mountains and though there was no ice or wind my toes felt like ice at times. Mind after a showerI felt smug and satisfied.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Did my 1st 40 since November today and boy did I feel it. It was slow going and mostly flat so the few pimples felt like mountains and though there was no ice or wind my toes felt like ice at times. Mind after a showerI felt smug and satisfied.

The most I usually do is 20 miles. Takes me about 1hr 15-30mins. Depends on the route I take. Tend to prefer really early mornings too, and often squeeze it in before work.

Wind shield gloves really helped me today.Temp was about 4 degrees, but cloud cover kept the ice at bay I reckon.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
managed to get about a total of 7 miles done today on the family tandem , back in training for longer rides when it starts to warm up a bit

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm glad it's not just me who has this sort of thing... started again this week for the first time since the clocks went back, and feel very fat and unfit.

quite so! the part I hate most is when you squeeze into your bib shorts, make a sound like, "ooofff!" as you realise that they're disgustingly tight, you get on the bike and it's all chafing and bulges from the word go, pull up at a set of traffic lights, cough, the crotch bursts and the ol' crown jewels pop out!

I'm a laydee so my crown jewels are a little higher up, but I know exactly what you mean Xmister!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My joke to the guys at work is: "Who wants a wrestle with Big Daddy!?" when I squeeze into the bibtights :biggrin:

Don't worry, I work with grown ups! :ohmy: :tongue:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'm getting back into it again now, that hill climb shocked my body into remember what my legs are for - just done another little hill climb and I am not on the verge of death after that one ...

I decided to come back home a different way and head up Chessel Avenue and nearly died. :biggrin: Last year I was able to FLY up that one. I got off near the bottom and began to walk, then about 30 seconds after I thought "whats wrong with you, get back on!?"

I was on the easy gears and my lungs fit to burst. Did it though.

Top Bottom