Feeling rather smug tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noelmg

I love days like this
smile.gif

Had an email round at work at around 16:30 to say a nearby road was completely shut due to an accident causing traffic chaos in the area. Traffic was queuing all through our estate and all local roads were gridlocked, even the M1 had 40 minute delays. All around me fretting about how they would get home, ringing wives to let them know about their imminent delays, while I sat there looking forward to my ride home
smile.gif

As I was leaving at 17:30, one of the sales girls said "You must be mad cycling in this weather!" I replied "I may be mad but at least I'll not get stuck in traffic tonight"
biggrin.gif

Left the building, flying past all the cars queuing to get out of our car park, flying past all the gridlocked traffic in record time! Down the road that was shut further down, to find a police woman standing in the middle of the road turning vehicles around. "Do you need me to go a different way?" I asked. "No you'll be fine on your bike, just stick to the right hand side of the road as there's a lot of petrol on the other side a bit further up". Said thank you, carried on up, another policeman there manning a cordon across the road. "Do you need me on the pavement?" I asked. "Yes please sir but it is an offence to ride on the pavement, so if you could just get off and push until you're back on the road". "No problem", I said. Past the scene of the horrific accident (unrecognisable heaps of metal), put my hand up to thank the policeman at the other end and he said thanks, and off I went for the rest of my journey.

Flying past more gridlocked traffic, shooting down the trails and got home less than a minute late (from when I was walking past the accident).

An hour later, I'm showered, fed and settling down with a beer, messages start appearing on Facebook from stressed colleagues just arriving home after 2 hour commutes
laugh.gif

I love evenings like this
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 10
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 11

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nice..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

apart from the unfortunate accident of course. Hope no fatalities.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 12
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 11

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Apart from the accident, that sounds like cycling in London for you. Move down here and you can get that smug feeling as you fly past gridlock 5 days a week!

Glad you had a nice ride back and I hope everyone was okay.

thomas

the tank engine
Used to hate traffic on my old commute...in places anyway. A lot of the roads weren't wide enough to filter past cars that easily so it could easily knocked a few MPH of my average - gah!!

Other than that...it is a fantastic feeling :smile: It's lovely going back from town at a weekend. Traffic is backed up all down chaplefield road and it's really easy to filter though :smile:

Top Bottom