feet position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewy

Hi all!

My Hybrid type bike (a Subway two) came with your bog standard flat pedal and some gawd awful bits of plastic that were supposed to be bolted on for use as clips, well I tried but even my rather small feet wouldn't it in them so off they came again (spent all of 2 minutes on the actual bike!:tongue:).

A friend let me have some pedals with 'proper' toe clips on...alot better, and fit quite nicely.

Problem is that my legs now tire VERY easily and I'm feeling the strain alot quicker as the ball of my foot is now over the centre of the pedal, where-as I have always pedalled with my foot about an inch further forward than this.

I have persevered as I realise that this is the 'proper' position for my feet to be, but I am really struggling to ride like this.

Is this just a personal thing to me and I shall have to put up with it or is there an obvious change that I've missed, as I doubt an upgrade to clipless pedals is still on the cards if my legs cant cope!!!:biggrin:

Your thoughts ladies and gents, please.

colinr

I'm guessing your saddle will be too low if you've changed your foot position, that'll make for some hard work.

As a rough guide, sit with one pedal at it's lowest point with your heel on that pedal, your leg should be fully extended. Adjust from here - personal preference may vary but it's a good starting point.

Cyclist33

When I was a kid I had exactly the same problem - with my feet where they were sposed to be it ached like hell and so I always pedalled with my heels on the pedals!

Persevere, it'll be fine. Your body will get used to it and appreciate it in the long run :-)

Stuart
Hi all!

My Hybrid type bike (a Subway two) came with your bog standard flat pedal and some gawd awful bits of plastic that were supposed to be bolted on for use as clips, well I tried but even my rather small feet wouldn't it in them so off they came again (spent all of 2 minutes on the actual bike!:tongue:).

A friend let me have some pedals with 'proper' toe clips on...alot better, and fit quite nicely.

Problem is that my legs now tire VERY easily and I'm feeling the strain alot quicker as the ball of my foot is now over the centre of the pedal, where-as I have always pedalled with my foot about an inch further forward than this.

I have persevered as I realise that this is the 'proper' position for my feet to be, but I am really struggling to ride like this.

Is this just a personal thing to me and I shall have to put up with it or is there an obvious change that I've missed, as I doubt an upgrade to clipless pedals is still on the cards if my legs cant cope!!!:biggrin:

Your thoughts ladies and gents, please.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I watch a lot of cyclists on BSO's, and kids on bikes of varying levels, riding using their insteps and seeing too slow a cadence and worry that sooner rather than later they will find cycling too hard and give up. Get the basic set up as "colinr" says and work from there. Try to use a fairly brisk pedal cadence and you will not put the strain on your knees (not saying you do but the riders I see on BSO's around the place. They're usually older folk). If you have small feet clips and straps or toe cups come in different sizes to allow you to fit them to your feet as you can if you go clipless.

Having the ball of your foot over the shaft of the pedal is also only a starting point for your setup. You may find you need to move your foot forward or behind the centre of the pedal to get the best for your riding style.
Sheldon has some suggestions for pains and aches produced through cycling that are worth looking at. Or have a look at this site about proper bike fit.

Hav a look at this on pedalling tachnique.

BicycleRay

Pedaling is the most important thing everyone needs to figure out for themselves but from what it sounds like you are now actually pedaling in the standard position.

If your legs are getting tired it means the position of your feet has caused different muscles to take up the work. If you feel pain in knees or your back then something is wrong.

I suggest you keep this position and in time your legs will build the strength that is needed to make your ride more comfortable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I ride with clipless pedals and have the cleat as far back as poss so that the ball of the foot is beyond(ie forward) the centre of the pedal - many pro riders have a similar set up if you watch the telly.

The main point is that you should set up the pedal according to what you want rather than what you think you should be doing.

I have my clips set so that the ball of the boot rests just slightly forward of the pedal centre. It just works for me that way. Legs still get tired - but I put that down to being unfit as I've not cycled this much for years - about 5 weeks back in!!). I certainly don't have any aches and/or pains in the back or knees!

I set my saddle by clipping in. Holding myself against a wall and placing one then the other leg to the lowest point of the pedal - with my foot flat. I aim for a slight bend in the knee with my hips in a neutral position. That way I'm not locking out my knees whilst riding! Again that just suits me.

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

Thanks everyone.

I don't get any pains as such in either of my positions, but do feel alot more uncomfortable in the toe clips. Seriously thinking of swapping back to my old pedals!

Will try for a bit longer first though, as dont want to risk long term injury from wrong foot position. Having said that I don't feel that my original position was doing any real damage as wasn't that far from 'ideal'. Not pedalling on my heels for example!

Top Bottom