Fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

remking

Bought some cleats and cycling shoes for my new bike yesterday. Went out for a ride tonight. Half way through the ride my chain came off. I fixed this (does this happen often?). Then I tried to get going again. For some reason I couldn't get my right foot into the peddle so stupidly went for a left foot start. I started rolling and tried getting the right foot in... my speed started to drop as I struggled to get the right foot in but it was too late. I started to lose balance and then failed completely to get my left foot out. I then found myself in the full cycling position on my racing bike but laying down on the pavement with a big crash. The words "are you alright mate?" were heard from a friendly passer by as I lay there feeling like a Tw..

Is this normal to have such embarrassing situations?

bonj2

No it's not normal at all! Hardly anyone's stupid enough to do that, you must be pretty much the only one.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
remking; this is what's known commonly as a 'clipless moment'.
I'd guess that 90% of us will have had a moment like this, if not in the first few weeks of riding clipless but in the following months as confidence and 'over' confidence starts to appear.

I fell over in the first week of riding with cleats but I had a similar fall when a shoelace wound round the pedal arm tying my foot to the pedal!

Fear not you are in good company, and yes, you will have looked a right tw*t!;)

bonj said:
No it's not normal at all! Hardly anyone's stupid enough to do that, you must be pretty much the only one.

Bonj speaks the truth. I mean, can you imagine doing anything so ridiculous on a bike: I recommend stabilisers :laugh::smile:;)

bonj2

tdr1nka said:
remking; this is what's known commonly as a 'clipless moment'.
I'd guess that 90% of us will have had a moment like this, if not in the first few weeks of riding clipless but in the following months as confidence and 'over' confidence starts to appear.

I fell over in the first week of riding with cleats but I had a similar fall when a shoelace wound round the pedal arm tying my foot to the pedal!

Fear not you are in good company, and yes, you will have looked a right tw*t!;)

In fact, 89.99999999% SAY they have done it on public forums in order to make the 0.00000001% that actually have feel better, and 10% of people like me actually own up to the fact that they have never done it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've been rumbled!;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As I don't have cleats I can honestly say that has not happened to me. I will probably have a very similar story to tell in a few months when I get the required gear though!!

However I am still sporting the painful groin injury from a 'hop' I had a week ago. I took both hands of the handles, lost concentration and lost control of the bike. In trying to stop myself going head over bars I managed to hop along the trail a good 10 yards and in the process incurred some delightful bruises and cuts.

Of course once I regained control my first reaction was to look around to ensure no one had seen me and then check out the bike and myself. ;)

Top Bottom