Ferguson Marine Nationalised

Slick

Guru
This is a welcome boost for an area already struggling for jobs but it does raise a number of questions like can this be replicated in other yards like Bifab, (who have already lost millions of taxpayers cash) is this part of an overall change in how the Scottish government intends to tackle issues protecting the workforce in high risk industries and can they do better than one of our highest profile industrialists who lost 28 million pounds scince he took the yard over 5 years ago?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49370082

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This seems to me a good thing from the Scottish Government.
Someone very capable needs now to be found to run the business to make it at least break even.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
This seems to me a good thing from the Scottish Government.
Someone very capable needs now to be found to run the business to make it at least break even.
Agreed, Pat.
Only a mile downhill from me,
the CalMac order has been the sticking point,
there has a been a miraculous transformation of the yard, if you hit 88 mph at the old yard in 2009 and went 10 year into the future (I know, groan)....
now a top class facility,
I hope the CalMac boat problems get sorted.....
they tried the same with Prestwick which has just gone on losing money over the years....
at least someone is trying...

OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Agreed, Pat.
Only a mile downhill from me,
the CalMac order has been the sticking point,
there has a been a miraculous transformation of the yard, if you hit 88 mph at the old yard in 2009 and went 10 year into the future (I know, groan)....
now a top class facility,
I hope the CalMac boat problems get sorted.....
they tried the same with Prestwick which has just gone on losing money over the years....
at least someone is trying...
I don't know much about the argument over the unfinished boat but it does seem from outside that cal mac are making it difficult to put it politely.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't know much about the argument over the unfinished boat but it does seem from outside that cal mac are making it difficult to put it politely.
Cal Mac are also the Scottish government.

The BBC article says explictly that the Scottish government are looking for a buyer, and only if they can't find one will they think about keeping the plant going owned by them. My very strong suspicion is that once the two Cal Mac boats have been finished the plant will be allowed to close.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It seems to be a 'he said, he said 'thing..
Not sure the London government would have stepped in, that's for sure.
Surely they would have listened to wee Ruth, no?

as someone who grew up in times when the industry was decimated, I don't think so....
those who have 'supported' a certain party have done well in this area,
Trafalgar House who ran it all down, Peel Ports (as is now) BAE Systems with the ROF site etc..

OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The British government has just allowed Harland and Wolff, in Belfast, to go into adminstration.
And the Turkish military pension fund to take over British Steel in Scunthorpe.

Last edited:
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Cal Mac are also the Scottish government.

The BBC article says explictly that the Scottish government are looking for a buyer, and only if they can't find one will they think about keeping the plant going owned by them. My very strong suspicion is that once the two Cal Mac boats have been finished the plant will be allowed to close.
Yeah, I think that was as far as any commitment was made for now. I'm not exactly sure as to why, but they seem to think that they won't be able to bid for as much private work as they would when it was a private yard.

CalMac is not directly the problem. They only run the ferry service but do not own the boats or any other of the fixed assets like slipways etc. Another company called I think Scottish Marine Assets or something like that own the assets and lease them to CalMac.
I thought the intention was to keep the yard going after the 2 boats are finished since I think there are other orders being done as well and also continue to seek further orders.
The previous yard owner is certainly a millionaire but lives in a tax haven somewhere which suggests tax avoidance.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Yer local roving reporter visited said establishment when out this morning

the boat in dispute
View attachment 480439
Boat no 2 on the stocks
View attachment 480440
Not too shabby compared to the old facade, a lot of money spent (grants?)
View attachment 480441

Back to CCN News at Two.

spoke with someone I knew who works in the yard, the reply.' I don't care who pays the wages'
Is that picture Glen Sannox or the new Uig triangle ferry 'Hull 802' - rumoured to br named Claymore?

OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
CalMac is not directly the problem. They only run the ferry service but do not own the boats or any other of the fixed assets like slipways etc. Another company called I think Scottish Marine Assets or something like that own the assets and lease them to CalMac.
I thought the intention was to keep the yard going after the 2 boats are finished since I think there are other orders being done as well and also continue to seek further orders.
The previous yard owner is certainly a millionaire but lives in a tax haven somewhere which suggests tax avoidance.
https://www.cmassets.co.uk/

I've done a few jobs for CMal.

Top Bottom