Festival tents don't get reused - shock.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So the anything-goes happy-go-lucky, right-on festival scene has at last woken up to the mind-boggling hypocrisy of festival-goers who buy a £25 tent from Tesco or Argos then naff off at the end of the festival and abandon it, justifying their littering with a foggy belief that it will be carefully dismantled, repacked and given to rough sleepers or refugees. If they had half a brain they'd work out that the tents are such garbage that they won't last more than a few days and can't easily be recycled.

Some sense at last. Let's see whether the right-on, environmentally aware crowd are ready to make any effort at all to save the planet this season.

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
This country is full of farking daffodils. It's depressing.

MichaelW2

Veteran
Perhaps they should fill the tents with helium, suspend their lighted camping stove by some wire and release them en masse at the end of every festival to fly free...

I like Skol

Hold my beer and watch this....
Not seen the story (Link?) you are referring to, but surely a large portion of the attendees/culprits are middle aged people trying to revisit their yoof? Hardly a problem that can be solely rested on the shoulders of the young ones?

But yes, the buy cheap then throw it in the bin mentality does get on my wick. Just yesterday I discovered my old Maglite torch had been stolen out of the back of my car :cursing:. I bought that about 25yrs ago from a little tool shop in Meadowhall, in a time before the Trafford Centre even existed. It has been on many camping and off-road adventures with me over the years, has had a few spare parts fitted from time to time to keep it in tip-top shape and still had a lifetime of use ahead. Buy decent kit once and look after it has got to be the best way for the environment?

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps they should fill the tents with helium, suspend their lighted camping stove by some wire and release them en masse at the end of every festival to fly free...
:stop:Think of the birds, and the thousands who are dying every day in the helium mines of Asia, you haven't considered that , have you?:banghead:

KneesUp

Guru
It's one of those things I can't imagine how to solve, because I can't really imagine why you'd do it. I went to Glastonbury once and took a tent. It wasn't an expensive tent, but it was a functional tent that I'd paid actual money for - and I had room in my rucksack to bring it, so I had room in my rucksack to bring it back. I just don't understand why you wouldn't bring it back. So your tent was £20? So what? It works. You might need it again. You could give it to someone else. You could use it next year. You take it home. Of course you do.

I like Skol

Hold my beer and watch this....
It's one of those things I can't imagine how to solve, because I can't really imagine why you'd do it. I went to Glastonbury once and took a tent. It wasn't an expensive tent, but it was a functional tent that I'd paid actual money for - and I had room in my rucksack to bring it, so I had room in my rucksack to bring it back. I just don't understand why you wouldn't bring it back. So your tent was £20? So what? It works. You might need it again. You could give it to someone else. You could use it next year. You take it home. Of course you do.
It's a mentality thing, we can't possibly grasp the concept because (thankfully) it's not the way our brains work.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
Does this count is you don't take your won tent, steal one whilst you're there then leave that one, whose responsible then?

This happened to a friends daughter & friend, they came back to find all their personal stuff in a neat pile & no tent.

Top Bottom