Fife - Edinburgh route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mantaii

Hi!
I havent been on my bike in ages since I started running but I fancy cycling in to work once or twice a week but I can't find anywhere online that shows me the route from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh. I've ran across the bridge but then after that Im not sure where the cycle route goes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find an online map.

Cheers.

Ranger

Hello Mantii, ther are quite a few of us Fife to Edinburgh commuters on here with the general agreement being not to use the cycle route.

Angusde (look at the Ping:Edinburgh/Fife commuters thread) has a link to his route which is in general the route most of us take, my route to the Botanics is as follows:

Over the bridge and carry straight on to the roundabout and take the first exit
Straight over at the next roundabout towards Kirkliston
Turn left where the road is signposted to the Royal Elizabeth yard
To the end of the road and turn right down the hill
At the bottom turn left and follow the road to Cramond and back onto the main road into town

Hope that makes some sense

OP
OP
M

Mantaii

Hi Ranger,
Is there any reason why people don't use the main cycle routes?

Im looking at running the route a couple of times before the winter as well.

Im looking at getting up to Lothian Road / Tollcross.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
the thing is there a several ways to get into town once over the bridge, however the cycle path via Dalmeny is pretty poor, I myself have been using the A8000 Kirkliston/Airport road towards the gyle, its a wee bit longer but just as fast. I`ve not tried the other way which cuts across via the Royal Elizabeth yard.

OP
OP
M

Mantaii

Will need to get my bike out of storage and get some road tyres on it and give it a blast then and see how it goes...how long does it take from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh?

I do Haymarket to Burntisland in about 1.40, and use the Sustrans route all the way (quite a lot do), taking a shorter diversion through Dalgety Bay. I have taken a look at the alternative mapped route posted in the Fife-Edinburgh thread, but is it any quicker, or just smoother? I'd welcome a faster alternative. I do the route currently on my old cast iron London commuter and regard the whole journey as somewhere between training and....sometime it feels like pennance. I am new to Scotland (about 18 months) having been a London commuter/campaigner all my life so would happily take on board alternatives. Cheers

Ranger

The Kirkliston route is further and around the same in time as you do not have to avoid the potholes; rough surfaces or share paths with pedestrians which makes it feel a quicker and less stressful commute to me, especially since the have resurfaced the road

habibi

Another vote for the A8000 / Royal Elizabeth Yard / back on the main road at Cramond routine. Been using this route both ways since the A8000 went quiet.

toontra

Veteran
habibi said:
Another vote for the A8000 / Royal Elizabeth Yard / back on the main road at Cramond routine. Been using this route both ways since the A8000 went quiet.

Could someone be kind enough to post this route on a map (e.g. bikely, Google Maps, etc). Without knowing the local landmarks and signposts I can't visualise this route on a map.

I only do this trip a couple of times a year but I'd dearly like to avoid the Sustrans cyclepath (diabolical by any standards!).

Ta.

gavintc

Guru
Any of you guys on a black and celeste Bianchi with bianchi top tonight heading out on Burnshot Road and then turning up the hill. I was coming the other direction from Kirkliston on my commute back into town from Linlithgow - a damp one tonight.

Tetedelacourse

All of these are to the Gyle area but contain the different options open to you nonetheless:

Kirkliston and A8

A90

R.E.Y & Burnshot Rd

Try them out and see what you prefer. The best surface is undoubtedly Burnshot but I prefer A8 as I know it's a little shorter. I went home via Burnshot on Monday and when there's a Westerly it's a bit of a shift! No shelter!

Main thing is just to get on your bike though. Say hello if you see a silver Allez and a skinhead with no helmet.;)

toontra

Veteran
Thanks tete, the third option looks great for me. I can see why I was confused by earlier posts which mentioned the A800 - the B800 appears to be the road to take.

Much appreciated!

Top Bottom