Filtering - techniques and best way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shady

Just wanted to get ppls opinion on filtering through traffic.

Basically the commute to work involves the approach to a roundabout where the narrow road widens near the end into 2 lanes (left for turning left, and right for straight ahead and right).

My question is that given the traffic is bunched on the narrow road with some traffic over to the left near the kerb, and other traffic over to the right on the white line how do you filter without going onto the other side of the road ??

And as the road is narrow there isn't any room when trucks etc are coming the other way, I see plenty of cyclists just mount the kerb which is pretty wide and then cycle along the kerb to the roundabout before going back on the road.

As I would like to cycle for work for the fitness, i would also like to be able to 'jump' past traffic without having to sit in traffic.

So the $60,000 question is would you sit and wait in traffic, risk going head on into traffic by filtering, or do the 'safer' option and mount the kerb and bypass the traffic before getting back on the road past the roundabout??

Suggestions would be welcome !!

;)

Keith Oates

Janner
IMO the best way is to wait until there is clear space on the road for filtering.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Don't do what I did on Tuesday and fly down the gaps, weaving in and out, and then wipe out into the back of a car!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
No, I managed to brake pretty sharpish and just toppled in an embarrassing fashion!

What hurt was falling off later trying to show off to my mate and slipping in a wet patch, fell right on my hip!

Slow speed falls are always so embarrassing!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Shady, any chance you can link to this roundabout on google maps? Are you going straight on or left at this roundabout?

Personally I filter most on the right because it's safer, even in the face of oncoming traffic, but it does depend on the particular situation. Sometimes I don't filter and just wait in the queue if there isn't enough room or it's dangerous, but that's rarely the case.

Oddjob62

Keith Oates said:
IMO the best way is to wait until there is clear space on the road for filtering.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree Keith. I regularly see cyclists who seem to think that they MUST filter and often end up holding up other traffic and/or putting themselves in danger.

Domestique

Über Member
Isnt 'filtering on the right' another term for overtaking?

Sometimes its best just to stop and wait with the traffic.

Young Un

when i can i filter on the right if it is just a jam on a straight road.

if it is a round about and im going left or a crossroads (straight on) then i filter on the left

and in astwood bank there is a particual part i hate doing as there is cars on both sides of the road and i dont want to filter through them (they are parked - which causes mayhem) so i just mount the pavement and slow down and then rejoin the road which happens to be at a cross roads - does that make sense?

OP
OP
S

Shady

Realistically there isn't much/any room on the left as the cars who will want to turn left at the roundabout are practically in the gutter.

I could possibly get round them but it would mean riding over gutters/wet leaves etc... and given that the cars are practically touching each other in the queue there isn't much room to weave in and out.

Overtaking on the right would take a lot of balls as you would be going head on into oncoming traffic without having any 'stations' to pull back in into the queue of traffic as anyone going right or straight on would be on the white line.

We are talking about an A road where the road is about 3 car widths wide !!!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Shady said:
Realistically there isn't much/any room on the left as the cars who will want to turn left at the roundabout are practically in the gutter.

I could possibly get round them but it would mean riding over gutters/wet leaves etc... and given that the cars are practically touching each other in the queue there isn't much room to weave in and out.

Overtaking on the right would take a lot of balls as you would be going head on into oncoming traffic without having any 'stations' to pull back in into the queue of traffic as anyone going right or straight on would be on the white line.

We are talking about an A road where the road is about 3 car widths wide !!!

Are you going left or straight on/right at the RaB?

If you do not feel comfortable filtering - then don't do it. If there is no space - queue with the traffic but keep an eye open for gaps to appear and move forward when the opportunity arises. What's more, you don't have to try to get to head of the queue, slot in one or two cars back if possible.

Mr Pig

Oddjob62 said:
Totally agree Keith.

So do I. I regularly wait in a traffic queue when I could very easily hop onto the kerb and cut the corner. For me it's not about safety but our image amongst other road users.

Many drivers have a very low opinion of cyclists and feel that we should not be on the road, we should be on the pavement. How can we get them to think otherwise when they see cyclists themselves happy to take to the pavement when it suits them?

If cyclists do not obey the rules of the road why should they use it? Everyone else who drives on the roads has to adhere to a strict set of laws regarding their use. If cyclists want to increase the perception of themselves as legitimate road users they have to be seen to be doing likewise.

Top Bottom