Filtering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
all good, I'd be careful about chopping from inside to out and vice versa, youre generally testing drivers' powers to notice you, can't say I cared for that road overly, us London types are used to some sort of provision on the outside

ride as wide on the outside as you can, not there was much space on that stretch

the drivers seemed awfully well behaved

pshore

That looks like the kind of filtering I normally do on a motorbike.

Good points
  • You saw (or learned about) people doing surprise u-turns out of queues. They are fairly easy to spot as they are normally over to the right a bit looking to see how long the queue is and if there is a gap in oncoming traffic.
  • Use of the left side when possible = Less conflict with oncoming traffic.
  • You survived the gaps. I guess you knew the road and that there were no side roads. When I see a gap in the queue I assume that somebody is being let out.
Not so good
  • When you cross over to the other lane you can see the oncoming traffic moving over. I personally would not risk threading myself between the queue and 60mph oncoming traffic like that just in case, and especially as the next oncoming car may not have seen you. On the motorbike I am always looking for gaps to hop into so I am not left vulnerable - this is actually more difficult in standing traffic.
Filtering is always satisfying. :thumbsup:

Norm

I'd have done it exactly the same there, I would maybe have moved out a bit further on occasion but a marginal difference if any, which is difficult to judge anyway because of the camera's perspective.
Not so good
  • When you cross over to the other lane you can see the oncoming traffic moving over. I personally would not risk threading myself between the queue and 60mph oncoming traffic like that just in case, and especially as the next oncoming car may not have seen you. On the motorbike I am always looking for gaps to hop into so I am not left vulnerable - this is actually more difficult in standing traffic
Pah - if you are going to be an armchair critic, rule number 1 is don't leave yourself open to easy shots. "40" must have been painted on the road there a dozen times. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pleasantly surprised about the lack of criticism.

Even more so, that criticism being ripped apart! :smile:

I think his point may be that although being a 40 limit, that doesnt mean some people might try 60. Fair point, I suppose. I like to filter on the right if possible, if there is room. It's more like overtaking, rather than sneaking past :smile:

Norm

Ooo, I hope I'm not seen as ripping pshore apart, I was intending to just take a gentle poke.

I agree with his points, especially looking for the escape route when riding out wide in the "wrong" lane. :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Why not use the cycle lane? It's a solid line so driver shouldn't be in it, that doesn't mean they aren't in it.

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Its not a cycle lane. But in just as poor a condition :smile:

Edit:

Ok, "ripped apart" may seem a bit extreme... Replace with "challenged" :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Looks good :thumbsup:

Only negative-that thing on your handlebars to the left of the light. Looks a bit ghey.

perhaps it's another light??

Top Bottom