Finally Gone Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well i've finally done my first ride clipless ;)

And in all honesty i wish i'd done it months ago ... the difference is amazing

I bought some Northwave SPD shoes on here from Tel (top bloke to deal with) thanks Tel, and then got a pair of Shimano M520 pedals from Chain Reaction for £20 ... i fitted the pedals this morning and spent 10 minutes or so leant up against the garage wall practising clipping in and out which i have to say is a lot easier than i thought it was going to be, and then off i went on a 20 mile loop on some quiet country lanes around my village and i really did notice a difference whilst riding especially on the hills and whilst i was riding along the quiet straight bits i kept on practising clipping in and out, i'l give it a week or so before i start to adjust the tension up abit on the pedals

Simon (think i might go out again after tea) :biggrin:

Well done JD :-)

Garz

Squat Member
Great! I got a pair of Northwave vertigo's yesterday and Look keo classics. Needless to say after a nice 26 miler today was extremely happy with them.

Bear

oxbob said:
Don't forget to post your 1st "moment" on youtube :evil: And well done on taking the leap
Yes been there, I flipped a mtb on spds years ago, was going quite quick and landed on my side on concrete, proper painful ;)

Rollon

I had my first 'moment' last week. Didnt catch it in video so cant put it on utube. I approach a small roundabout a bit too fast, turning right. Spotted a car and a motorbike to my right who obviously had right of way. Neither need to stop as nothing was approaching from their right. I braked hard but was right at the roudabout when I couldnt unclip, so I had to keep going. The motorcyclist swerved and went past me using the wrong side of the roundabout. The car thankfully stopped at the junction.
I felt a right pratt. Answer obviously is not to approach the things too fast and unclip before getting there if needing to stop, or at least be able to mount pavement or take evasive action, until its second nature.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Well done. Practicing on quiet roads is the best way to get used to them. Just remember, you only need to unclip one leg.:evil:

The way I got used to it was to think of my left pedal as the clutch on a car...........If I came to a stop I "depressed" the clutch by unclipping. Soon became 2nd nature.

Only thing is , you need to be more aware about the possibilty of emergency stops and also to lean on the side you are unclipping:smile:

Take your time when moving off from a stop and you'll find it easier to re-clip.I always try to move off too fast and put too much pressure on the pedal, so if I'm not clipped in right away it's harder to successfully engage the cleat.

Hope this helps.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Rollon said:
I had my first 'moment' last week. Didnt catch it in video so cant put it on utube. I approach a small roundabout a bit too fast, turning right. Spotted a car and a motorbike to my right who obviously had right of way. Neither need to stop as nothing was approaching from their right. I braked hard but was right at the roudabout when I couldnt unclip, so I had to keep going. The motorcyclist swerved and went past me using the wrong side of the roundabout. The car thankfully stopped at the junction.
I felt a right pratt. Answer obviously is not to approach the things too fast and unclip before getting there if needing to stop, or at least be able to mount pavement or take evasive action, until its second nature.

sorry to be a harsh, but thats not a moment. Thats just bad cycling. you nearly caused an accident because you approached a round about to fast. clearly you should be anticipating cars coming and thus slowing down and being able to unclip.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Jakes Dad said:
Well i've finally done my first ride clipless :evil:

And in all honesty i wish i'd done it months ago ... the difference is amazing

This should be the testimony offered to all who ask about going clipless as it is surely the response of 99% of all who make the switch.

It might also be an answer to advocates of "going naked." That's the feeling I get without being attached to the pedals.

It's also been my experience (selling) that most people never have that "moment" so often mentioned as initiation to clipless.

Newcomers should always practice in a parking lot or on a quiet street though, before venturing into traffic. Get the unclipping motion programmed into your head before you have to use it at a moment's notice. Also make sure the spring tension is correct (on SPD, etc.) and lubricated. Then you should have no trouble.

potsy

Rambler
Fitted my m520's today will go for my 1st ride sunday morning while the traffic is light,have set the tension to the lowest level is this right for a 1st journey?

Top Bottom