firefox bookmarks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
where are these kept as the organise bookmark facility within firefox doesnt seem to list aload of thebook marks on the drop and i want to tidy it up into folders and i used to find this easier in the an explorer window. any help appreciated

Carwash

Señor Member
mr Mag00 said:
where are these kept as the organise bookmark facility within firefox doesnt seem to list aload of thebook marks on the drop and i want to tidy it up into folders and i used to find this easier in the an explorer window. any help appreciated

You can organise them into folders using the 'Organise bookmarks' facility. As for where the bookmarks file itself lives, on Firefox 3+ it's in your profile folder named 'places.sqlite'. I would not recommend editing that file though, unless u g0tz m4d 1337 5ki11z. For Firefox 1 and 2, the file is 'bookmarks.html', also in your profile folder. This you can safely edit (hooray for HTML!) as long as you stick to the conventions it already uses, with (if I recall correctly) section header levels for 'folders'.

But you're better off using the 'Organise bookmarks' facility. SRSLY.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i hav e tried this but it doesnt list loads of my book marks :ohmy:
they just arenot listed. yet when i look at them on the drop down they are all there , strange :smile:

Carwash

Señor Member
mr Mag00 said:
i hav e tried this but it doesnt list loads of my book marks :ohmy:
they just arenot listed. yet when i look at them on the drop down they are all there , strange :smile:

Do they all appear if you export them to HTML and open the resulting file?

D

Deleted member 1258

I have my bookmarks showing on the left hand side of the screen, View, Sidebar, tick bookmarks box. When I reorganised them recently I did it in the sidebar.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
TY,
i will try that, it is still stange that they do not appear when using the organise facility

D

Deleted member 1258

mr Mag00 said:
TY,
i will try that, it is still stange that they do not appear when using the organise facility

Yes strange, on mine I click on organise bookmarks and bring up the library, then click on all bookmarks in the left pane the bookmarks menu is in the dropdown menu click on that and Daves favourites is at the bottom of the drop down menu and clicking on it brings up the bookmarks in the right pane.

Carwash

Señor Member
mr Mag00 said:
dont leave me hanging carwash :angry:

Sorry, didn't mean to 'leave you hanging!'

Interesting. And when you're in the 'organise bookmarks' screen, you're looking at the 'bookmark menu' list, right? (Sorry, I'm sure you are, but worth confirming!)

Perhaps Firefox needs reminding somehow... you could try re-importing the bookmarks from the HTML export, and see if they're listed then?

D

Deleted member 1258

Downward go to bookmarks on the top of the page, select organise bookmarks from the drop down menu, click on import and back up, click on backup on the drop down menu and save the file to an external drive and transfer across on the external drive.

Danny

Legendary Member
Downward said:
How do you copy all your bookmarks to a new PC ?
I use the Xmarks add on which keeps a copy of all your bookmarks and allows you to easily import them onto another PC.

Top Bottom