First 100km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdgEy

After getting my road bike the other week, decided to go out and see how far I can reasonably cycle.
Always had BSO's before and never really trusted them enough to go very far (or been able to with the weight of most of them :tongue:)

Total journey 105km (the google map below is a rough estimate as I got lost a few times!)
Whole trip took me about 8 hours, time in the saddle was around 5 hours.

Absolute scorcher of a day and the coast was lovely. Also some very nice, smooth single lane roads that are hardly if ever used.

20110408-route.png

20110408-withernsea.jpg

20110408-withernsea-seafront.jpg

20110408-hornsea.jpg

20110408-hornsea-seafront.jpg

Quite impressed with myself and think I could push a bit harder but probably best to stick to shorter distances for a while I think. My ultimate goal is to eventually do 300km in one day.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done!

Keep an eye on the informal rides section, there are a few East Yorks folk about on the forum. There's some nice riding round there.

Some nice rides on quiet roads in the area, with opportunities for tea & cake (or fish & chips) stops.

I did part of the Holderness loop of the National Byway on Thursday, 70km total distance. My link. You're not the only one who makes wrong turns either :smile: . The loop is supposed to be 46 miles but family meant I had to rush back (well, rushing as much as capable at that point). May well go back and do the full loop during Easter.

OP
OP
E

EdgEy

Well done! I shall be copying your route and doing my own version soon. I'm west of Hull so shall cut out the metropolis!

I'm about half a mile from the square so actually right on the outskirts :smile:
The little detour was to pick myself up some peanuts and other bits and bobs for the journey!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Nice run out, but if you get a copy of the 'Holderness Loop' it takes you on some of the quieter back roads & a more pleasant route IMO :thumbsup:

so how was the wind? I'm always trying to get the direction of travel right on longer rides... and usually failing

OP
OP
E

EdgEy

so how was the wind? I'm always trying to get the direction of travel right on longer rides... and usually failing

Friday was a relatively calm day, 4-8mph winds. I didn't really notice until I got to the coast, to be honest.

bloominslow

Looks like a good route! I took me bike out for my 1st reasonably long route the other day! (only 30 miles) but i recon im gonna try somthing closer to this one next, as i was suprised at how easily i managed it. im living in leeds now but originally from Withernsea, so its good to get back over to the coast and reminisce as i pedal!

Top Bottom