first 20 mile spin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vimes

Regular
hi all
well today i picked up a cheap secound hand coyote route 66 bike (http://www.cbccarspares.co.uk/coyote-route-66-road-bike-3702-p.asp) which i won on e-bay
just to see if i could get the hang of the drop downs ect before speding out a few hundred ££(i am used to a mountain bke) ready for my 15mile comute to work
so i took it for a spin and managed to clock up 20miles in an hour and a half which i dident think was to bad for someone who is 16stone and unfit
things started to get a bit numb around the 8 mile mark so i sliped on a gel seat cover which i had the hindsight to take with me and that worked up to the 14mile mark then it all statred to get uncomftable again but worked through it to get up to 20miles and most of the time my hands were not on the lowest point as riding for to long like that gave my back a twinge
i was stuggering for the first part with winds as i was riding in the fens where there is no protection but when the wind dropped of in the more protected areas i was able to get up to 21mph quite nicely
so all in all a sucsess
regards
lee

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Congratulations. I don;t know anything about road bikes but the one you have looks pretty good for the money. Average of 13.5 miles an hour is pretty good going for your first outing I'd say.

hi all
well today i picked up a cheap secound hand coyote route 66 bike (http://www.cbccarspa...bike-3702-p.asp) which i won on e-bay
just to see if i could get the hang of the drop downs ect before speding out a few hundred ££(i am used to a mountain bke) ready for my 15mile comute to work
so i took it for a spin and managed to clock up 20miles in an hour and a half which i dident think was to bad for someone who is 16stone and unfit
things started to get a bit numb around the 8 mile mark so i sliped on a gel seat cover which i had the hindsight to take with me and that worked up to the 14mile mark then it all statred to get uncomftable again but worked through it to get up to 20miles and most of the time my hands were not on the lowest point as riding for to long like that gave my back a twinge
i was stuggering for the first part with winds as i was riding in the fens where there is no protection but when the wind dropped of in the more protected areas i was able to get up to 21mph quite nicely
so all in all a sucsess
regards
lee

OP
OP
V

vimes

Regular
thanks m8
only set me back £130 and it came with 3 brand new tyres and an upgraded carbon seat post
regards
lee

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
thanks m8
only set me back £130 and it came with 3 brand new tyres and an upgraded carbon seat post
regards
lee

Excellent start mate , took me months to get to that standard when I came back to cycling a couple of years ago.

Re the seat making you go numb if it continues you could think about getting a "bio" saddle. These have a slot down the middle so theres no pressure on some nerves that run close to the surface on the centerline of your undercarriage if that makes sense.

I got a Ritchey Biosaddle for the same reasons, its a bit hard initially but once you get used to it its comfy on all day rides. 110 miles is my longest with no numbness at all.

My link

boselecta

Well done, I was out in the Fens today too and also clocked up 20miles near Kings Lynn, however my ride was a tale of two halves. the first 10 miles I completed in 40mins the second I done in 60mins : ( as the wind was a nightmare on da way back !!

OP
OP
V

vimes

Regular
Well done, I was out in the Fens today too and also clocked up 20miles near Kings Lynn, however my ride was a tale of two halves. the first 10 miles I completed in 40mins the second I done in 60mins : ( as the wind was a nightmare on da way back !!

lol yep the fen winds are great
lee

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Sounds like a good first ride. See if you can find other people to ride with to improve your strength and fitness. Consider cycling into work (not every day, if it is some distance), and you'll start to see the weight come off, and even better, your fitness and strength will improve in great leaps. Suddenly 20 miles will seem like a warm-up and 20mile/h is a cruising speed.

Then you need to find some hills. A bit tricky when you live in the fens, I guess!!

OP
OP
V

vimes

Regular
Sounds like a good first ride. See if you can find other people to ride with to improve your strength and fitness. Consider cycling into work (not every day, if it is some distance), and you'll start to see the weight come off, and even better, your fitness and strength will improve in great leaps. Suddenly 20 miles will seem like a warm-up and 20mile/h is a cruising speed.

Then you need to find some hills. A bit tricky when you live in the fens, I guess!!

hi m8
the bike to work thing is why i have got into cycleing as with fuel prices going up i figured if i can bike to work 3 times a week it will save me money and get me fit so win win
the distance to work is 15miles so i will try it very soon
regards
lee

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
...most of the time my hands were not on the lowest point as riding for to long like that gave my back a twinge

I ride a bike with drops, and I spend most of the time with my hands on the hoods (i.e. the top of the brake/gear lever mounting), and sometimes on the centre of the bars - that is the most comfortable riding position. I only use the drops proper for going downhill when I want to keep my speed up.

Good illustration here (scroll down a bit):
http://tunedintocycling.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/road-bikes/

Top Bottom