First 50 Miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

getfit

Hi Gang,

Well as it says I completed my first 50 miler. While half the country was basking in sunshine, I was cycling in the other half of the country, ie. the rainy half!

I really enjoyed the ride managing to average just over 15 mph. The worst part was the rain on the glasses. Had to stop at a petrol station to wipe them but in the end just removed them. How do you guys get around this?

I will be doing the 'Lap of Lough' which is 87 miles at the end of the month and after today I'm really looking forward to it.

GF

Congrats!

Not sure if theres anything you can do about the glasses.

longers

Legendary Member
Well done on your milestone :smile:. I don't wear proper gregs, only sunnies but a cotton cap might help.

kewb

someone told me that a spot of wet lube on a clean cloth wiped over the lenses repels water but ive not tried it myself as im unsure what effect the oil would have on polycarbonate ? so i wouldnt recomend it perhaps someone in the know on here can shed light on it ?
rain pelting you in the eyes isnt good ,head down glance up on quiet roads and reduce speed on busy roads is your best bet id imagine .

well done btw .

on the road

Über Member
Well done.

Wearing a cap usually helps in the rain.

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry Getfit, I shared a house with a bloke from your part of the world and Gregory Pecks equalled Specs.

lazyfatgit

Well done. I did my first 50miler in 23 yrs recently, very satisfying.

I've got the same problem with my bins. peak on helmet helps, but there's not much you can do when the wind is driving. Thinking about getting prescription sports glasses to help keep the rain out, but unsure how vision will be.

Top Bottom