First Aid Qualifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
As some of you may have seen in other posts I am now a qualified ride leader.

However in order to move my vocation off in the direct I need it to go in I need to now become a qualified first aider , how much would such a corse cost and can you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

Gaz

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As some of you may have seen in other posts I am now a qualified ride leader.

However in order to move my vocation off in the direct I need it to go in I need to now become a qualified first aider , how much would such a corse cost and can you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

Gaz

St John's Ambulance and British Red Cross ought to be your first ports of call.

There are a lot of different First Aid qualifications, ranging from quite basic through being able to operate a defibrillator and even further or specific, such as for accidents in water or for children.

You say that you now need to become qualified in first aid, so I would ask 'what qualification' first and then as Vernon said, call St. Johns or the Red Cross depending on which one operates training courses nearest you (both websites will have most of the information for you, but a call never hurts).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As others have said ... there are different types of course ... think about where you will be riding, and the type of people who may be on the rides and then see what the St John's or who ever you go with, suggest is the most appropriate course.

Mark_Robson

Rather than St John I would contact your local Ambulance Service.I have been doing my first aid at work with the Northumbria Ambulance Service for the past twelve years or so and I find their attitude to first aid tends to be more practical than St Johns. By that I mean that they aren't so hung up about what kind of knot that you use rather they are more interested in your ability to manage a first aid situation.

I can't tell you if they are any cheaper as work has always paid my fees.

SJ and RC courses are good starter courses and once you've learned a few principles it becomes easier to think about using inner tubes and sleeping mats to patch people up. The difficult bit is then getting them off the mountain or the moor to a place where you might get a signal on your phone so that you can call for an ambulance. This is why wilderness first aid is more complicated than workplace first aid, which more or less says "put them in the recovery position and call an ambulance." Your workplace probably won't cover a wilderness course, however there are books available as an intro after you do your initial course. If I were you I'd give CTC a call and ask what their recommendation is.

SJ and RC courses are now standardised too, so there is nothing to choose between them.

Top Bottom